Report Abuse

Need to Sell a Timeshare

We have a Banyan suite in the Imperial Hawaiian on Oahu. We purchased it back around 1986 & have never used the unit. Did rent it out twice, as I recall. In addition to our yearly maintenance fee of $500 we just rec'd an assessment for an additional $800. This assessment was the straw that broke the camels' back. After I rec'd this asssessment, we decided to get rid of the unit rather than keep dumping money into it. Was really surprised at the cost involved in selling the unit. Island Realty wants approx $2,000 in commission plus approx $400-500 in closing fees, plus 4% state tax, plus my $500+ for 07 maintenance, plus $800+ for assessment. Approx, $3,800 in fees. Per Island Realty, most Banyan units are listed from $3,800 up. So much for any profit! The only one with any profit, is the Realty! In searching the internet, "Sell my Timeshare" had a free appraisal listing. Within 30 minutes of filling out the form, I rec'd a phone call & like many of the other selling companies they want an upfront advertising fee. From what I read in the forum, this is not the way to go. We're well aware of the fact that we're going to take a loss on the unit, but I find it tough putting $3,800 into someone else's pocket & coming up with a big zero myself! Does anybody know of a quick way to get rid of a timeshare or any Realtors which are good?