Report Abuse

Re: Re: New to timeshares family owned ii timeshare questions

[Q=lancec13] So what you could do is deposit your unit into II's pool (no charge). Then you can look at what II will allow you to take in exchange for your unit. Once you book that, then there's a charge of about $150 or so. Since you said that the resort is dually-affiliated with RCI, then you have the option to deposit your unit into RCI's pool and then look for a suitable exchange that RCI would have available.[/Q] I would like to add some clarification to Lance's above input, which as quoted is not an entirely complete picture. Specifically, if you have a II membership (which you must of course purchase), you are able to "search first" through the available II exchange inventory [b]without[/b] having to immediately deposit your week [b]first[/b]. So, if you don't find an exchange of interest to you, you can still [b]retain[/b] your week to use it, or rent it out. You [b]can[/b] deposit your week first with II if you choose, but (unlike with RCI) you are not [b]required[/b] to deposit first in order to conduct an exchange search. This is very distinctly different from RCI's procedures. With RCI, you [b]must[/b] deposit first before you can even [b]see[/b] their available exchange inventory --- and once you deposit a week with RCI, you irreversibly relinquish any option to retrieve that deposit, whether or not you are able to find a suitable exchange. You then, of course, also cannot use that week yourself, or rent it out. It's gone --- and you just have to [b]hope[/b] that you can find a suitable exchange at some point. I am not advocating for II over RCI (I don't exchange at all and I don't use either one), but the above describes one very significant difference between RCI and II deposit / search procedures. If you had concluded that RCI and II deposit / search requirements are identical, just be aware that they absolutely are not. II and RCI membership and exchange fee costs are roughly comparable, but II's very different "search [b]first[/b]" capability is certainly at least worth mentioning.