Report Abuse

Re: Re: Rentals

I agree with your findings. However, wouldn't it be appropriate to disclose the potential tax liability on the listings where Redweek is not processing the payment? Potential renters are now asking me why my Myrtle Beach listing includes these taxes and other listings do not. I understand this is because the rents are collected through Redweek. This is destined to become a bigger problem beyond SC. It might be good to get out ahead of it by disclosing the tax on all Myrtle Beach timeshare listings. I know you could do this as you now disclose there can be no guarantee of a particular view at Newport Coast on all listings. [Q=phyl21] Dennis: We have started charging tax (based on the county) for online bookable units in South Carolina. Since this is a state law, we cannot waive it. The South Carolina Department of Revenue website states: "The rental of transient accommodations is subject to a 2% accommodations tax in addition to the 5% sales tax, and any applicable local tax...If you rent transient accommodations for no more than one week each calendar quarter, you are not required to obtain a retail license, but you still must report and pay the tax annually." So if the owner is not charging the renter this tax, it appears they would be responsible for paying it.[/Q]