Report Abuse

Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System

Rescind now and look at your alternatives. Point purchases are forever with no recovery. 1. You need a minimum of 5,000 points to do anything. Don't buy points now in your inexperienced state and don't buy 2,000. 2. I suggest you start out by buying a prime week resort at a location you will use. I suspect you bought about 2,000 points for about $25,000. For example, you could buy 1 Newport Beach (NC), Platinum weeks for about $10,000. You can use it, rent it out, exchange through Interval, etc. but not exchange for points. If you found you didn't like this, you could sell the week what you paid for it. And, maintenance fees are about $1,500 for a NC week - about half the maintenance fees you would pay on enough points to get an equivalent use. After you have done the above, you can explore the points option. Please know there is very little residual value in selling the points you buy and maintenance fees are about double for an equivalent use through points. If I sold my resale weeks, I would expect a full recovery of my cost. 2. Go to Redweek rentals and rent for a year or two to decide if you want the ongoing commitment, maintenance fees, etc. Most timeshares rent for about twice the maintenance fees.