Report Abuse

Re: Marriott versus Starwood?

[Q=thundley] We are currently happy owners of Starwood timeshares in Maui and Myrtle Beach, but in looking for a Winter Sports timeshare are interested in the Marriot Timber Lodge Tahoe. Does anyone else own both and how would you compare them as to quality of accomodations, ability to exchange within the system as well as through RCI or II? Also, are Marriott points transferrable with the purchase of the unit, etc.? I've been told that if you buy outside of their sales, you lose the option to exchange for other Marriott properties. We stayed at the Marriott Timber Lodge last Spring and really enjoyed the easy accessibility to the Gondola and other area highlights. We also liked the "make your own" Hibachi style food at the on-site restaurant. Since we had a kitchen, we made our own breakfasts, but the Starbucks on-site was nice if you wanted minimal breakfast, coffee, etc. However, the small one-bedroom unit was a pretty tight squeeze for two adults and two teenagers and I would advise using the larger one-bedroom or the two-bedroom units if you are going for more than two or three days.[/Q] We like both but Marriott has more accessibility and the reputation that gos with it. If you do not buy directy from Marriotts, you do not get the points. You can, however, exchange with I. I. and RCI. Unfortunately, we cannot use our unit this year. So, if yiou know of anyone who is interested the week AFTER Thanksgiving, let us know. I agree tht the one bedrooms are a little small for 4 people. But the two bedrooms are great!