Report Abuse

New Marriott Vacation Club Points scheme?

We went to our owners meeting here at the Marriott Ocean Club this week to hear about the new points program. At first, it sounded kind of cool - it seems easy to trade the points from your home resort for other locations. But now I'm not so sure. There are different points required depending on what season you're booking in (it's even different between January and February). Also, I think availability and inventory is going to be diminished, now that this system allows owners to check in during the middle of the week and stay for only a few nights. Finally, the sales person said that anyone now buying Marriott vacation properties through Marriott can only buy via this point system -- and that they are prohibited from selling their units on the open market and that they have to be sold back to Marriott. That means you could only sell your Marriott timeshare for what Marriott was willing to buy it for. Anyway... there are some good things with this system (flexibility) but I'm very wary of it. I didn't "upgrade." Thoughts from others?