Report Abuse

Buying a timeshare at Vacation Village at Parkway

Something to think about when buying a timeshare. How much are you going to travel. If you only go on one week vacations, then weeks are great, if you like to go for a quick getaway for 3 or 4 days, then weeks are not as useful. I am a points and weeks owner. With my points resort if I am not going to use my time , I put it into RCI, I can book one, two weeks of vacation in the same place and pay one exchange fee. If Iwant to book my weeks back to back in RCI at the same exchange I have to pay an exchange fee for each week. I am still new with the weeks, but also my Resort PB in Cabo gives a trading power amount in points, if I do not use all the points in my trade ,you have left over points to add to your unused week. This cost you $119 to combine them. I was asking RCI if I deposit two weeks at a time, why should \i have to pay separate exchanges if using them together. They treat each week on its own, unlike points you can use some of them, and then book again later with the balance, you pay the exchange only. Each exchange company has there own set of costs to do things, check out which exchange company the timeshare uses. Also, extra vacations are not free weeks, they are weeks at reduced prices, you do not use points or weeks to use them. If your not going to vacation alot, you may be better off to rent timeshares off of redweek, or other places. So many times we want to go somewhere, and with timeshares you pay your flight separate and alot of good deals out there flight and hotel. Alot of times the cost are more using your time share. You pay $200 for each week you own to exchange, plus the membership fee of the exchange company, then you also have the amount you invested in the timeshare. Plus lets not forget the $$$in manintence fees you will pay over the years. Some trips it can pay since you can access weeks through extra vacations that you pay for, to extend the trip if you were traveling a few places in the same time frame. Alot depends on how many years you plan to travel, how often. Over the years you would gain some of the investment back since resorts and hotels are not going to get cheaper and you do stay in alot of nice places with timeshares, that you may not stay in if you had to pay the nightly rate. But overall, it comes down to lifestyle, and how often you travel. Check out RCI .com site or the exchange company you would be using if you buy and see the ins and outs of things. I hope this has been helpful.