Report Abuse

Re: Marriott versus Starwood?

We own both Starwood and Marriott timeshares. We own in Maui for both. We own Starwood at the Atlantis and Palm Desert. We own Desert Spring Villas II in Palm Springs and Canyon Villas. If you buy resale you can trade within their respective systems but as you know it is pretty hard to get something different than what you own in Marriott. Starwood is easier to manipulate. You have the 8 month window to reserve in another resort. If you own Marriott vacation club points it makes it much easier to trade. I heard it is an extra cost when you buy a resale with vacation club points. I have not tried this yet. I love the versatility of having both types of properties. The quality is about the same as well. It really depends on which property you go to on the upkeep of the property. I enjoy having both of them and we decided to buy at the property we want to go to. It's harder to get into the Marriott properties that you don't own. My favorite is Starwood for trading power but I think Marriott has more properties at the moment.