Report Abuse

Re: "Deed" or not??

I am also an owner since 2009 and this year got the "hard sell" pitch, for a significant fee, to "upgrade" and convert to floating points. My view is that it is a lousy deal. First you are going from 16 or 15 days (one half of a month) to 14 day - -two weeks. On an annual basis that is a 10% giveback, from 24 half months to 4 weeks, so they can sell 4 more weeks. Second, you no longer have the right (and obligation for a maintenance fee) for a fixed block of time. Third, there is that 5 year "refurbishment fee" buried in the fine print. The upgrade they are trying to sell is , for this significant fee, is the flexibility to upgrade/downgrade accommodations to Novaspania or Sunset Beach and some dubious "higher service level" package - -all for the small sum of more than $20K if you are an annual owner. I think that focusing on "after our demise" issue is missing the point. The Key to this resort's success is good services and maintenance into the future. My observation is that they have done this well so far, but owners have little visible means to compel this if the management company decides to let this deteriorate. I believe that once they run out of sales units, the economic pressures will be massive to let things run down. So my philosophy is to keep the period certain ownership and enjoy the enjoy the free meal and sales perc they offer to get the hard sell pitch.