Report Abuse

Re: Cancelling within 10 days

[Q=shakirad3] I am writing my letter now. It just says send notice of cancellation and it provides the address but I'm definitely sending certified with return receipt. It also specifies that I will be charged $150 of the tablet given to me at closing is not returned upon cancellation. Do I send that to them too with the letter? [/Q] They certainly have every right to charge you the retail value of the tablet if you fail to return it, but you need not actually include the tablet with your rescission (cancellation) letter. Simply state in your rescission letter that the tablet is "being returned under separate cover" and ship it to them asap by the cheapest means available. The important thing right now is to get your rescission letter sent by certified mail, with a date stamped postmark receipt which is within the rescission period of the state where you purchased (10 days in Florida, 5-7 days in most states, yet only 3 days in a handful of other states). They CANNOT legally charge you a single penny for "closing costs" (there isn't going to be any "closing" anyhow), so what you were told on the phone is simply (and predictably) false. State law very plainly and very clearly requires them to cancel the contract, charge you absolutely NOTHING and return 100% of your deposit within 45 days. It may not actually take 45 days to receive your refund, but it's still possible (and lawful) for it to take that long. DO NOT call or talk to those weasels again on the phone (although they may attempt call you when they receive your rescission letter). Phone conversation is completely and absolutely meaningless, legally speaking, when it comes to contract matters. Those parasites will say virtually ANYTHING to cause confusion and / or create a delay and / or attempt to salvage the sale (and their commission). Just ignore anything and everything you were told on the phone and get your written rescission letter signed and sent off by certified mail as soon as possible and never speak to those lying weasels again under ANY circumstances. Let the law work for you, don't get in the way --- and stay off the phone! Westgate is simply "the worst of the worst" (in my opinion) and you would surely later regret forever having ever made the mistake of getting involved with them. Westgate also employs very restrictive reservation practices which make Westgate resales virtually worthless, so it would be next to impossible for you to even GIVE it away later FOR FREE! You're dodging a serious bullet here. Well done and congrats!