Report Abuse

Cancellations and contracts redux...

Please note that "shut out" tenant "Deb" who posted over on Timeshare Users Group about Marriott Frenchman's Cove and the timeshare owner (frankp95) who has posted here on RedWeek (providing no identification of his resort) may or may not actually be involved in the same transaction. I have not asserted otherwise, but have merely speculated that both posts MIGHT pertain to the same transaction reported from two different sides, but I have no personal knowledge or verification of that. However, that detail doesn't really much matter, as the fundamental underlying issue is that of ALL rental contracts adequately addressing unexpected denials / cancellations of scheduled occupancy. Travel / trip cancellation insurance is always routinely available from several different sources, including CSA, Allianz, Vacation Guard, et al. Anyone paying several thousand dollars for a rental probably should (in my opinion) purchase such insurance as a routine matter, since it offers cancellation protection for any one of a multitude of reasons (including resort closures in the aftermath of storm damage). HOWEVER, a tenant's failure to acquire travel insurance certainly does not impact or alter the indisputable fact that the owner must provide a 100% refund if / when the owner simply cannot "deliver" the contracted product and the associated rental agreement has completely failed to even address the issue of such unexpected closures / cancellations AT ALL.