Report Abuse

HGVC - Is my understanding correct?

I have been investigating timeshares for a while. Seems there are a few trends: 1) They are overly complex 2) Once in, you can't get out - people often end up dumping them just to free themselves from the annual maintenance fees. I'm currently trying to understand HGVC, it 'seems' fairly simple. You are basically buying points, you may have a deed in some property somewhere but it is really about the points. They have gold/platinum weeks. Does it matter if you have a gold or platinum deed on a property? My guess is no, if you have the points accumulated you can use them however you want. Cash them in on any property and any weeks. Is my understanding correct? I have been looking at sold eBay listings to get an idea of what the points sell for - the 15 auctions I analyzed the average price was 1.3 cents per point. The only thing that seems to really vary, is the maintenance costs. Different resorts seem to have different maintenance costs per point you are earning. Anything you can share with me regarding HGVC, things to watch out for?