Report Abuse

HGVC - Is my understanding correct?

[Q=ken1193] Good on 'ya for doing your homework in advance. Far too may people "buy now, think later". I tip my cap to you for spending the time and exerting the effort to become an informed consumer BEFORE "buying in" to ANY timeshare product or system. Good luck![/Q] Thanks for the comments and feedback. I have spent a few more hours researching things and I seem to have come across a scam on eBay. I am seeing lots of timeshare listings, selling for $1 on eBay. I was quite excited to find one that I was very interested in, for only $1 !! Then I learned of ROFR and why would a resort let one of their units sell for $1 - they would buy it back (especially the nicer resorts). It did not take much work on eBay to figure out what the scam must be. Sellers list timeshares for $1.00 - and from the looks of it sell many of them at that price. They have transfer fees and whatever other fees they may come up with that must be paid at the close of the auction. My assumption is they collect the fees and then tell the buyers that the resort exercised the ROFR, so the timeshare is not available - pocketing the advance transfer fees. So, scams aside... how low is too low? At what price point will the resorts not accept the sale and buy it back themselves? Seems to be a lot of games in this industry. If an owner calls the resorts many will not take the property back at any price, but if that seller then found a buyer willing to take it for $1 would they step in a take it away from the buyer?