Report Abuse

Buying a timeshare at Vacation Village at Parkway

[Q=laurenw143]I have a timeshare...that I am wanting to sell. I just don't have the time to travel anymore.[/Q] Well, join the club. Hundreds, if not thousands, of other timeshare owners are wanting to sell or give away their units. The first cardinal rule when trying to sell is to never, ever pay anyone a large, upfront fee to sell, rent out, or "cancel" your timeshare as that is almost always a scam. Second is to get a realistic idea of what your unit is worth on the resale market. From what you described, it looks like a Central Florida location. Those, believe it or not, are usually worth around zero dollars resale as units in the Orlando area are a dime a dozen. What you can try is to log into E-Bay (if you have an E-Bay account) and check the listings for similar units at the same resort. But make sure you check completed listings to see what they actually sold for. Sadly, there are many uninformed owners who think that they can sell these pieces of real estate for around the same price they purchased. Unless someone gave it to you for free, you will not get anywhere near what you paid for it. Once you have an idea as to what your unit is worth resale, advertise is for sale here on RedWeek. Other reputable timeshare listing sites are My Resort Network, Craigslist (just be prepared for a lot of spammers and scam attempts), E-Bay, or Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG"). Make sure you list your price realistically and competitively. If you come to the honest realization that your unit is worth about zero dollars resale and you just want to give your unit away, then advertise that using the same sites mentioned in the previous paragraph. TUG also has a Bargain Deals section on its public forum which will allow owners to advertise for free that they want to give their unit away. Once you find a buyer/taker for your unit, then the two of you will have to agree who will pay the closing costs. You can use Redweek's recommended partner First American Title. Another one that comes highly recommended is Legal Timeshare Transfers which will cost you under $200 if no money is changing hands, a little more if there is money changing hands. Another option if you realize that your unit is worth zero dollars and you just want to give it away, is to contact the resort's Homeowners' Association and ask if it will take your unit back. It might do so if you agree to pay closing costs and maybe even the next maintenance fee. You could also say in no uncertain terms, that you are not paying another penny in maintenance fees and that it would be in everybody's best interests for the HOA to take your unit back rather that for it to go through foreclosure. I hope this helps.