Report Abuse

Re: Donating my timeshare to a charity

[Q=donp196] You can only deduct the actual value of the item donated. Since most timeshares have little or no value the deduction is nothing. [/Q] Absolutely correct. The IRS uses "fair market value" for donation valuation. If someone cannot even give a particular timeshare away for free, or without [b]paying[/b] someone several thousand dollars just to take it, then it is very obvious that the "fair market value" of that timeshare is ZERO (...or less). Donate For a Cause (principal / owner attorney James Tarpey) got into big trouble with Uncle Sam by providing phony inflated "appraisals" to "donors". I think DFAC may have subsequently shut down entirely --- I'm not entirely sure about that. If so, good riddance. Think about it, people. Any and every timeshare in existence has maintenance fee obligations. It's simple common sense that [b]NO[/b] legitimate charity on Planet Earth would [b]EVER[/b] want to "adopt" someone else's unwanted, burdensome ongoing financial obligation as their own. To somehow believe otherwise is just naive and foolish.