Report Abuse

Re: how long it takes to actually sell a timeshare?

[Q=staceyp38]I have tried selling my Park City Westgate timeshare on here two years in a row and had zero success. I used the Redweek realtor and priced it under 1000 dollars and still no luck. I tried to get advice from Redweek's realtor but they gave me general info that wasn't hepful. I'm not sure how to dump my week now.[/Q] Unfortunately, Westgate has a very sullied reputation in the timeshare industry mainly due to the benefits it strips from resale owners. Most Westgate properties have a zero (or even negative) resale value. If you are serious about dumping your week here are a couple of pointers but you probably won't like the suggestions. First, Westgate has a deed back program where it is taking back a limited number of units. Believe it or not, westgate is actually charging owners about $900 to do this. As well, your mortgage and maintenance fees have to be paid up. Second, continue to put your unit up for give away and offer to pay the closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee for the new taker. You can continue to advertise this on RedWeek. You can also do so for free on Timeshare Users Group (aka "TUG; tugbbs.com) in the Bargain Deals section. The other possibility is to call the resort's Homeowners' Association and demand that they take your unit back stating, in no uncertain terms, that you are not paying another penny in maintenance fees and that it would be in everyone's best interests for the HOA to take the unit back amicably. Just do not contact any of these companies or law firms that claim they can exit you from or cancel your timeshare.