Report Abuse

Re: Timeshares Can Make Cents

We were at our "beach club" yesterday with Snowbird friends from Minnysoduh, because we get year-round day-use. But, actually, our owned week starts today, Week 1, which we bought as a resale week the resort had taken back. It's rented out, which is why we bought a Snowbird week, so our annual fee will be reimbursed, and a little more, even before it is due (January 31). &, actually, we are eligible for an actual "beach club", which amounts to a private place to park and access the beach, a pavilion, and restrooms, but it costs actual money, and there is a waiting list. Speaking of older, independent, legacy resorts, the second week we ever owned, which we bought as a foreclosure in 1992, was at a clunky, HUGE resort in a secondary ski area in Colorado. We wound up buying two more, Weeks 10 and 11 Spring Break ski weeks, because they were tops in a Trading Power test in 1999. We used them to trade, even-up, before RCI "improved" their trading power system. The annual fees have never been more than $400, but, since we don't do exchanges any more, I gave two of them away, and deeded the third one back (which the resort finally agree to do after years of my persistence.) Any way, a long way of getting to this . . . on another forum not long ago, one of the veteran posters talked about his trade into a "Diamond in the Rough." Yeah, 20 years after that Trading Power Test that most people there don't know about, and with all the bragging about the hoyty-toyty corporate systems newer owners are pissing their money away on, the diamond is our clunky old resort. It reminds me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I've got those 20-year-old trading power tests saved . . . somewhere. It would be interesting to see how many of the top resorts are still considered good buys, or even are still timeshares.