Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ripoff - Marriott Vacation Club Destinations Program - New Point System (by David P.):

I own both weeks purchased prior to 2010 and points and points are way better because you can stay as little or long as you like not in 7 night increments. Check in Sunday check out Friday its half the points of 7 nights so you can take two of these trips for the same points. Why don't the old legacy owners get this? It's common sense but it seems so uncommon.

jimf41 wrote:
=== I don't agree with you, but a salesperson would.

One must distinguish between reservations for owned weeks and point reservations. For weeks, I own the week in the season and can book 13 mos out - I get what I want for great beach locations.

No, you can't book a single week 13 months out using your week. If you convert it to points or you have trust points then you can. To book a week 13 months out you have to have two weeks and you have to book them consecutively or concurrently. One of the quirks is that they don't have be in the same season. I'm not sure if you can book them at separate resorts, I've never tried it.

Some may say the flexibility of the points system compensates for all this. But, if you can't get the points reservation "you want," who cares?

All of the reservations I make and the ones I referred to in my post have been made with points.

There is no which is better points or weeks. Weeks bought before June 2010 are great because you can exchange them for points. Weeks bought after that can only be used as what they are, a week in the season you bought. I use both some weeks I use as weeks, most I convert to points. In order to play the game you have to know the rules and strategies if you want to win. Trust points bought from Marriott seem pretty expensive and are not very appealing to me.