Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Donating my timeshare to a charity (by KC):

donp196 wrote:
You can only deduct the actual value of the item donated. Since most timeshares have little or no value the deduction is nothing.

Absolutely correct. The IRS uses "fair market value" for donation valuation. If someone cannot even give a particular timeshare away for free, or without paying someone several thousand dollars just to take it, then it is very obvious that the "fair market value" of that timeshare is ZERO (...or less). Donate For a Cause (principal / owner attorney James Tarpey) got into big trouble with Uncle Sam by providing phony inflated "appraisals" to "donors". I think DFAC may have subsequently shut down entirely --- I'm not entirely sure about that. If so, good riddance.

Think about it, people. Any and every timeshare in existence has maintenance fee obligations. It's simple common sense that NO legitimate charity on Planet Earth would EVER want to "adopt" someone else's unwanted, burdensome ongoing financial obligation as their own. To somehow believe otherwise is just naive and foolish.