RTU and Deed

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: RTU and Deed (by KC):

"Perpetual ownership" simply means that there is no date-specific end or expiration associated with a particular deeded ownership. That being said however, it is worthy of note that some timeshare properties have "sunset clauses" written right into their CC&R's (the underlying condo declaration documents filed and recorded when the place was first built). This "sunset" date is commonly 40 years after initial construction in some Florida properties, for example. When that "sunset" date comes along, a supermajority of owners may have to agree to continue on as a timeshare property, if that is what the CC&R's indicate.

RTU contracts, on the other hand, are only for property access and use, with no "ownership" of anything at at all --- and generally not "perpetual". Like most contracts, RTU "memberships" generally contain a very specific expiration date (commonly 20 or 30 years in many Mexican RTU contracts, just for one example).

I hope this helps you to better understand the distinctions detailed above.

loisa wrote:
Hi All, I was just wondering how these two ways to own differ from something called "perpetual ownership" I would appreciate your input. LoisC