timeshares

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Re: Grupo Mayan fraud tactics in timeshare sales. (by Philip S.):

2 years ago my wife and I were invited to a Grand Mayan presentation in Cabo San Lucas. The inducement was $250 USD; we went. We were held captive for more than 3 hours and were cajoled into buying a program for $5,800 that would give us 150 bonus weeks through some kind of buying group. They wanted originally $47,000 for a 2 bedroom unit at the Grand Mayan. They said they would give me credit for my Presidential Suite at the Hacienda del Mar.

It took us almost a year for our credit card company to get our money back. We went to The Profeco (Mexican consumer affairs); we were assured we would be made whole.

We bought the "weeks" deal because we felt we were being held hostage in a foreign country by people who were consummate con men! This was an attempt at fraud and became for me a very serious matter. I am a salesman by profession and I found the high pressure tactics used very unprofessional and very unsavory. I hold myself to a much higher standard.

Although not an attorney, I am given to believe that fraud implies intent on the part of the perpetrator. I thought it best to charge the payment on my credit card and then contact my credit card company later. Thankfully Grupo Mayan sales people thought I paid their "ransom" of $5,800 and i was able to get out of there and return to HDM. It was definitely my intent to get my money back and I did.