Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

There is no magical exit from a voluntarily executed contract... (by KC):

anthonys492 wrote:
I wanted to know since me and my girlfriend paid with a debit card not credit card. If she just went to the bank and got a new card. Would we be out of the contracts? We only put $200 down. And worked out a payment plan to pay off the down payment. If we got a new card without paying would we be free

Cancelling that card and getting a new one would not in any way impact the existence or validity of the contract that you voluntarily chose to sign. A valid, executed contract does not magically disappear just because you change or close bank accounts.

You have 5 days to cancel a timeshare contract executed in Mexico. If you are already past that 5 days rescission (cancellation) period, your down payment is gone forever, but you can still make the choice to not pay anything further. Getting a new account number will make sure that no further withdrawals / charges can be made on that particular account but, as stated already, a new card or account number will not make the contract (which you voluntarily signed) magically "disappear". The valid contract continues to exist; you would merely be "closing the door" to any future charges or withdrawals on the original (now closed) bank account.

On the other hand, if you are a U.S. (or Canada) citizen and the executed contract was a RTU contract in Mexico, the Mexicans have no leverage or jurisdiction to actually enforce the contract if you stop paying after changing or closing your bank debit card / account.