Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

Is there any EFFECTIVE way to dump a wyndham timeshare...??? (by Irene P.):

Lance, I used to agree with you until I listened to 836 timeshare members, mostly overwhelmed and desperate. I help as many as I can for free (30 to 50 per month) along with our team of volunteers, but there are thousands and thousands contacting exit companies.

One thing I know for sure is that many members have no clue how to proceed. I have donated my content to a nonprofit called Straight-A Guide that has launched just this week a self-advocacy manual 22,000 words state specific, with instructions on how to compose a complaint, file with the BBB, AGs and Real Estate Division, reach out to the media, accompanied by webinars and podcasts. I used to work for Family Court as a CASA supervisor, writing court reports.

Members file with the Nevada AG and California AG and give up when in those states you have to file with the real estate division against the agent. The AG doesn't even accept complaints. It was only because of this past legislative session I got to know four exit companies. They agree, like getting a divorce or selling your home, you can do it yourself. Few people are as lunatic as I am to devote 40 to 50 hours a week helping these people. I have talked to more dementia diagnosed seniors doing this as I did when I served on an Ombudsman board, advocates for patients in nursing home. English as a second language is an obstacle. Thousands of hours went into this Free at Last Manual $1,495 benefiting this nonprofit that helps 100,000 incarcerated prisoners a year. The founder is Michael Santos, interviewed by NPR, and network news. Their platform is very sophisticated and was easily adapted to incorporate what I have learned about timeshare since 2015, having been offered my money back but refusing to sign the NDA.

lancec13 wrote:
jefff382 wrote:
Please elaborate on how does it not go on their kids, when its a deed and its attached to their estate? All of them are paid off and have been for years. No Mortgage All Fees are current 100%

As stated before we have tried to sell them, give them away even and offer to pay transfer fee for 3 years. This has cost over 30K, Maint. Fee's, listing fee's and such.

With that said, I do believe Exit/Termination companies would not exist if all this was not so hard. I see value in what they do in not having to ruin credit or waste 30K+ in the past 3 years in trying to rent or sell and to me renting is a very short term approach on renting and does not resolve getting rid of them if and when you want to. The value to exit to me is they get rid of it and no more of this other stuff and more time passing.

I repeat. No one is forced to accept an unwanted timeshare. The estate might still be responsible for it but the heirs are not forced to accept it.

Also, if the mortgage is paid up as well as the maintenance fees, then some resorts will accept units back if the owner agrees to pay closing costs and possibly the next maintenance fee. That, I repeat, will still be less than what these exit companies charge.

There is also the option on TUG's Bargain Deals section. Has that been tried?

And I repeat this question that still hasn't been answered. What can these exit companies do for owners that owners can't do for themselves? These exit companies will do one of a number of things to get a new owner for the unit. One, negotiate with the resort to take the unit back. Two, use the viking ship method. Three, try to sell or give it away. Or four, tell the owners to stop paying which will eventually lead to foreclosure.