Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.

Original Message:

BEFORE you buy, do the math to see how much it's actually going to cost you... (by Rastus R.):

Hi, only just looking into the timeshare concept myself for the first time now so I appreciate all of the caution people offer.

Can I ask.. if I buy a resale for next to nothing... does that not change the situation considerably ?

Sadly, the original purchase price of the timeshares is often lost very rapidly... either heavily discounted on final sale years later, or almost given away to avoid the fees..

Thanks, M

williams1105 wrote:
We own multiple timeshares, but honestly, if I'd done the math before ever buying (even at resale prices) I'm not sure I ever would have bought any timeshare ever.

Here's an example: Right now we are looking at buying a few Maui resale weeks. These units rent for $799 to $1099 approximately plus taxes per day at HOTEL websites (full price). Here's what our 10 year costs would be:

$27000 X 2 purchase price for the resales... plus $2850 fees. Total purchase price: 56850.

$3450 per unit per year maintenance fees for 2019, with approximate 10-15% increase year over year..... approximately $89000 in 10 year maintenance fees

For a total of $145,850 for 10 year ownership. That's $14585 a year, $1041 per night for each of the 14 night stays.

Have I saved anything? NOT REALLY.

Over 20 years, will I save anything?