General Discussion

Floating weeks

Dec 14, 2006

I have a question if some of you could help. I was thinking about purchasing a floating week in South Padre Island, but could really only use it in the summer most likely when everyone else would want it. Is it always first come first serve basis? Same thing for Colorado ski areas? If you own a floating week what are your chances you can use it if you only want to use it to ski Dec, Jan, Feb? I am sure Vail and Lake Tahoe is nice in the summer but I have no interest.

Jeff S.
Dec 15, 2006

jeff1404 wrote:
I have a question if some of you could help. I was thinking about purchasing a floating week in South Padre Island, but could really only use it in the summer most likely when everyone else would want it. Is it always first come first serve basis? Same thing for Colorado ski areas? If you own a floating week what are your chances you can use it if you only want to use it to ski Dec, Jan, Feb? I am sure Vail and Lake Tahoe is nice in the summer but I have no interest.

You need to check your contract on which weeks/seasons that your "float" season allows. At many resorts, they charge a premium to be able to access the property during "high demand" periods. Even though weeks 1 - 52 may all be "red" at a particular resort, weeks such as Christmas, Easter, President's week, ans sometimes even July and August will be classified as "prime or premium weeks" and usually cost more to purchase.

Greg P.
Dec 17, 2006

Thanks, I have seen a few ads that have stated floating between weeks 20 to 30 1 to 20 etc... Many do not provide the info. I guess I need to ask those questions of the owner if he is not listing the information.

Jeff S.
Dec 17, 2006

When we owned a floating week (1-20) at Panama City Beach, FL we could call a year in advance to make our reservations. The weeks (1-20) would be considered off season (not red hot summer), but if you could reserve your week a year in advance perhaps you would have a better chance of getting a summer week you desired. I would certainly ask the seller this question and would even call the resort to ask if you would have a chance for a summer week a year in advance.

R P.
Dec 17, 2006

jayjay wrote:
When we owned a floating week (1-20) at Panama City Beach, FL we could call a year in advance to make our reservations. The weeks (1-20) would be considered off season (not red hot summer), but if you could reserve your week a year in advance perhaps you would have a better chance of getting a summer week you desired. I would certainly ask the seller this question and would even call the resort to ask if you would have a chance for a summer week a year in advance.

Thanks for the info. I guess to get what you want you would need to really plan ahead.

Jeff S.
Dec 18, 2006

Exactly ... in timesharing planning far in advance gets you the best of everything including exchanges. We have planned trips a year in advance many times to get what we wanted and where we wanted.

jeff1404 wrote:
Thanks for the info. I guess to get what you want you would need to really plan ahead.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.