Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Buying a timeshare privately

Dec 27, 2006

I have the possibility of buying a timeshare privately. Can a title search etc. be done by myself or not? How about the deed and how what is the easiest and best way to transfer title? Or is there a way to have this done very inexpensively? Thanks for the help. Vinny

Ladonna V.
Dec 28, 2006

If you want a title search and use of escrow you will have to use a title company. If you have no need for a title search or you want to do it yourself then www.timetraveltraders can do the transfer paperwork for a reasonable $75. Also, you can do the title search yourself by contacting the resort and asking if the seller is the owner of the week.

If you want to use a title search and escrow company, you can check out www.timesharetransfer.com or Redweek's American Title Co.

R P.
Jan 04, 2007

ladonnav2,

Too many people make a big deal out of buying a timeshare from a private owner. It's really quite a simple process to be perfectly honest. In fact, I am in the process of selling my ts as I am writing this.

After you have agreed upon a buying price with the seller, the first thing you need to do is put the responsibility of the sale back into the seller's hands. If he or she wants to sell bad enough, they will do whatever it takes.

In order to transfer/change ownership, the seller must obtain a Quit Claim Deed Form from the resort's Deeding Office. Every resort has a Deeding Office. After the seller tells the Deeding Office what week number they own and the unit number, they should receive back in the mail a blank Quit Claim Deed, a return for transfers of interest in real property form from the ts state's dept. of revenue, and a cover letter stating to the seller what the parcel identification number is. The seller will need that # to complete the return form. As the buyer, simply work together with the seller after he or she obtains these necessary forms to speed up the process.

In most cases, when you have completed the forms, simply return them to the state's comptroller to have the new deed recorded in the buyer's name at minimal costs, depending upon the state's recording fees.

The entire process should only take about a month (recording with the dept. of revenue consumes most of it) if everything is done properly.

Mark R.
Jan 04, 2007

markr110 wrote:
ladonnav2,

Too many people make a big deal out of buying a timeshare from a private owner. It's really quite a simple process to be perfectly honest. In fact, I am in the process of selling my ts as I am writing this.

After you have agreed upon a buying price with the seller, the first thing you need to do is put the responsibility of the sale back into the seller's hands. If he or she wants to sell bad enough, they will do whatever it takes.

In order to transfer/change ownership, the seller must obtain a Quit Claim Deed Form from the resort's Deeding Office. Every resort has a Deeding Office. After the seller tells the Deeding Office what week number they own and the unit number, they should receive back in the mail a blank Quit Claim Deed, a return for transfers of interest in real property form from the ts state's dept. of revenue, and a cover letter stating to the seller what the parcel identification number is. The seller will need that # to complete the return form. As the buyer, simply work together with the seller after he or she obtains these necessary forms to speed up the process.

In most cases, when you have completed the forms, simply return them to the state's comptroller to have the new deed recorded in the buyer's name at minimal costs, depending upon the state's recording fees.

The entire process should only take about a month (recording with the dept. of revenue consumes most of it) if everything is done properly.

In which state is the deed recorded - the buyer's or seller's home state? Or, is it the state in which the TS deeding office is located?

Judy K.

Last edited by judy396 on Jan 04, 2007 07:55 PM

Jan 05, 2007

The deed is recorded in the county (not state) in which the resort is located.

I strongly recommend getting a copy of the deed which the seller obtained with their purchase and using that as a starting point. Just change the names of the seller and buyer, the dates, and the notary "block" to show the state and county where it is notarized.

Since my competitors are named in this thread, I will add that I am a partner in a NJ based timeshare closing company. One of the partners is the former NYC recorder of deeds. Doesn't get better than that.

Please contact me if you need help.

John F.
Oct 17, 2022

What is your fee to handle the transfer of a timeshare that I want to purchase from a friend? The timeshare in The Cliffs in Princeville, HI

Thanks you, Curt

Curt D.
Oct 18, 2022

curtd12 wrote:
What is your fee to handle the transfer of a timeshare that I want to purchase from a friend? The timeshare in The Cliffs in Princeville, HI

Your question is apparently directed to a post from January of 2007. You may not receive a reply now --- nearly 16 years later.

I suggest that you contact LT Transfers (in Georgia) to obtain an understanding of the HI deed transfer process and the associated costs. Small business, nice people and their prices will be the lowest you will find anywhere; don't know if they handle HI transfers.

For the record, I am not affiliated in any way with LT Transfers, although I have personally used their services several times during the past 10+ years in the course of buying and selling several timeshare weeks (none of them in Hawaii). Can't hurt to contact LTT to get accurate, current info and pricing straight from the horse's mouth and then decide for yourself whether or not to use them.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Oct 18, 2022 10:39 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.