Point Systems

Global Access thru Orange Lake Resorts

Jun 24, 2008

ley2 wrote:
I'd like to share my experience also about the Global Access.

I have been an owner as Orange Lake Florida since 2000. I own a 1 bedroom in splash lagoon village. (Forgot it its west or north village.)

Anyhow I had not visited in 4 years. I'm actually here as I type. Basically at checkin I was identified as an owner. They offered me $50 gift certificates for use in OL and amusement park tickets at wholesale to listen to a 1 hour presentation. I agreed.

At the presentation they told me the story about OL not joining the points system when RCI had offered it to them years ago. OL was waiting to see how the points system would turn out. And now they are going to create their own OL points system to link into RCI instead. Hence the Global blahblahblah. Then they said 65% of the resorts in RCI are in points already and my week at OL would have limited trade in value because of this.

In the end you would only have to speak to an OL representative and they would handle all the exchange details whether within an OL affiliated resort or with RCI.

Then they took me on a tour of the new built buildings. Near River Island. (The 7+ story buildings.)

THEN they told me that my one bedroom had only ~77,000 points and they recommended that I should use the equity I had in my current 1 bedroom and purchase a 2 bedroom instead to get more points to use for the system. I think they quoted me about $16,000 or so for the upgrade which included the use of the equity of my 1 bedroom.

Basically sounds like OL is trying to make money off existing weeks owners by scaring them into thinking that they have to convert to points and that whatever unit they have they must upgrade to a larger unit. Funny thing is I never got the chance to ask them how much it would cost just to join the Global without upgrading my unit. Basically after I said no to the $16,000 upgrade, the OL rep said thank you and walked away and sent another guy in to give me the gift information.

OLCC will not let you convert to Global without purchasing some type of new ownership. Best Price I got was $4495 at their Panama City Unit.

Rodney M.
Jun 24, 2008

reneew13 wrote:
ley2 wrote:

I have been an owner as Orange Lake Florida since 2000. I own a 1 bedroom in splash lagoon village. (Forgot it its west or north village.)

Anyhow I had not visited in 4 years. I'm actually here as I type. Basically at checkin I was identified as an owner. They offered me $50 gift certificates for use in OL and amusement park tickets at wholesale to listen to a 1 hour presentation. I agreed.

At the presentation they told me the story about OL not joining the points system when RCI had offered it to them years ago. OL was waiting to see how the points system would turn out. And now they are going to create their own OL points system to link into RCI instead. Hence the Global blahblahblah. Then they said 65% of the resorts in RCI are in points already and my week at OL would have limited trade in value because of this.

In the end you would only have to speak to an OL representative and they would handle all the exchange details whether within an OL affiliated resort or with RCI.

Then they took me on a tour of the new built buildings. Near River Island. (The 7+ story buildings.)

THEN they told me that my one bedroom had only ~77,000 points and they recommended that I should use the equity I had in my current 1 bedroom and purchase a 2 bedroom instead to get more points to use for the system. I think they quoted me about $16,000 or so for the upgrade which included the use of the equity of my 1 bedroom.

Basically sounds like OL is trying to make money off existing weeks owners by scaring them into thinking that they have to convert to points and that whatever unit they have they must upgrade to a larger unit. Funny thing is I never got the chance to ask them how much it would cost just to join the Global without upgrading my unit. Basically after I said no to the $16,000 upgrade, the OL rep said thank you and walked away and sent another guy in to give me the gift information.

**approx $1700.....that is what I did

How long ago was it that you got into global for $1700?

Rodney M.
Jun 24, 2008

rodneym42 wrote:
reneew13 wrote:
ley2 wrote:

Feb 2007

Renee W.
Jun 24, 2008

reneew13 wrote:
rodneym42 wrote:
reneew13 wrote:
ley2 wrote:

Feb 2007

A few thoughts for your consideration before you make a decision…

Ask them to see the RCI directory of resorts that lists both POINTS and WEEKS. You’ll be surprised to see just how many ‘require’ points and the number of points required. I was surprised….MY GUESS IS LESS THEN 10% OF THE RCI RESORTS "REQUIRE" POINTS…and 77,000 RCI points is not a lot of points…(other places sometimes require a lot more for a week) and if you do find a week for less then 77,000 points, what will you do with the rest as they will expire. Weekends take a lot of points…mid week not as many…but you have to be able go in the middle of the week. Remember week owners can always trade for a week through RCI…even if it would require more points under the points system.

I have both weeks and points available…not through Orange Lake. My research shows me that Global Access is good for OL…they smile all the way to the bank. Owners with points MAY be able to trade for a week through RCI…or may not depending on where/when they want to go.

I agree with you…I believe OL is trying to ‘scare’ it’s owners into joining…they tried to scare me too when I went for an owner’s update. (Yes, I own a week at OL…and love it there…but don’t like what they doing to owners with the GA presentations as they don’t present the whole picture. I also own at another resort which allows me to transfer my week to RCI points should I need to...and it doesn’t cost me $1700, $5000, or $xxxx to join the point's system)

Gary B.
Jul 05, 2008

Hi We are new owners of OL since April 2007 2 bed/ 2 bath in the new section in the same as where the penthouse is. My brother in law and sister in laws have been members since 1998. We have often gone with them as family trips and now that we have a family of our own wanted our own condo.

What sold me the most was we were told in the meeting that they would be opening a Orange Lake Myrtle Beach. And said it would be so easy for us to get a place there thru RCI. In the end you would only have to speak to an OL representative and they would handle all the exchange details whether within an OL affiliated resort or with RCI. We were so excited I even said we are planning on going the last week of June 08. The rep said No problem call us and we will handle everything. What a joke...... We got back from there and in October 07 we called to make our reservations for June 21-28th, 08 and to my dismay I couldn't get a thing and was then told I needed to book 1 yr to 15 months a head of time. However I could con't calling. Trust me when I say I called weekly til April and then was offered through RCI I could pay a fee on my CC and they could find me a place It may not be in the area I wanted I asked for 6 different places near where my family was staying. By then I was so upset why wasn't I told this the first time I called back in Oct I would of then considered butting the finders fee on my CC and be reimbused if they didn't find what I wanted. This year the first time in 5yrs we didn't go to Myrtle Beach, SC with my family because why pay for another condo when we was supposely be just fine and go through RCI and use our points.

We now have points that are going to expire and we have not got another trip planed til Nov 09 at OL. Any suggestions???

Not once were we ever told we needed to make reservations 1 yr a head of time and then I last talked with a Global Access Rep/OL rep I was told that they have no future plans of opening in Myrtle Beach because of just opening in Pamana City and Vermont. We ( My husband and I ) are very disappointed and even considering selling. D

rodneym42 wrote:
ley2 wrote:

OLCC will not let you convert to Global without purchasing some type of new ownership. Best Price I got was $4495 at their Panama City Unit.

Delores T.
Jul 05, 2008

Hi We are new owners of OL since April 2007 2 bed/ 2 bath in the new section in the same as where the penthouse is. My brother in law and sister in laws have been members since 1998. We have often gone with them as family trips and now that we have a family of our own wanted our own condo.

What sold me the most was we were told in the meeting that they would be opening a Orange Lake Myrtle Beach. And said it would be so easy for us to get a place there thru RCI. In the end you would only have to speak to an OL representative and they would handle all the exchange details whether within an OL affiliated resort or with RCI. We were so excited I even said we are planning on going the last week of June 08. The rep said No problem call us and we will handle everything. What a joke...... We got back from there and in October 07 we called to make our reservations for June 21-28th, 08 and to my dismay I couldn't get a thing and was then told I needed to book 1 yr to 15 months a head of time. However I could con't calling. Trust me when I say I called weekly til April and then was offered through RCI I could pay a fee on my CC and they could find me a place It may not be in the area I wanted I asked for 6 different places near where my family was staying. By then I was so upset why wasn't I told this the first time I called back in Oct I would of then considered butting the finders fee on my CC and be reimbused if they didn't find what I wanted. This year the first time in 5yrs we didn't go to Myrtle Beach, SC with my family because why pay for another condo when we was supposely be just fine and go through RCI and use our points.

We now have points that are going to expire and we have not got another trip planed til Nov 09 at OL. Any suggestions???

Not once were we ever told we needed to make reservations 1 yr a head of time and then I last talked with a Global Access Rep/OL rep I was told that they have no future plans of opening in Myrtle Beach because of just opening in Pamana City and Vermont. We ( My husband and I ) are very disappointed and even considering selling. Delores T

Delores T.

Last edited by delorest6 on Jul 06, 2008 10:28 AM

Jul 05, 2008

Might we consider a policy of "signing" our posts just as we would any note? This is absolutely required on some boards. It is often hard to decipher who is saying what to whom here, even after scrolling up...and up....and up! A first name, initials, whatever. Just so we can get some idea of who said what. MD

Mary D.
Jul 05, 2008

delorest6 wrote:

Not once were we ever told we needed to make reservations 1 yr a head of time and then I last talked with a Global Access Rep/OL rep I was told that they have no future plans of opening in Myrtle Beach because of just opening in Pamana City and Vermont. We ( My husband and I ) are very disappointed and even considering selling. D

rodneym42 wrote:
ley2 wrote:

Brian W.
Jul 05, 2008

Hello: yes they always say you can't buy into global but when you call a global rep they always say they have been doing it i still havent figured it out yet. but i think they are con artists. sincerly, brian w.

Brian W.
Jul 29, 2008

ianf18 wrote:
lee144 wrote:
Does anyone have any experience exchanging their "week" to Global access points? Any positive or negative feedback?
Hi.

I have purchased an extra week so that I can use weeks with 'Global'.

My experience is that I am appauled by the service provided by Global and RCI.

They have turned me from an Orange Lakes lover into a hater of this system. I am now considering selling the three weeks I own because I spend hours on the phone resolving problems.

I cannot easily book exchanges and the management of these organisations need to experience the low standard of customer service experienced.

My advice. DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT

You want to stay on the weeks system, is that correct? I haven't changed over yet, but was thinking of doing so, simply because we can't use our week with Orange Lake and also with Occidental Allegro and our Mayan Palace Resort in Cancun. Anne Reeves870

Anne R.
Jul 31, 2008

Why should we have to pay to convert to points? If Orange Lake wants to move from weeks to points becuase they believe it is the best direction for owners, then I think that is great! They should just convert the exchange system to points from weeks. I don't understand why we have to pay any money. I have also been told that your point values will be different based on the village and week(s) you own.

Christopher W.
Sep 14, 2008

The telephone service sucks. you need to dial several time before you can get an acess to an operator and you have to hear the recording several times. Further more when you get to your extension number there it goes again, there is no ringing on the other end hence yo need to redial again and beg the operator to connect you. It is always easier for them to sell then to solv e your problems whenever you want to book. And when you want to sell your time sharing it is extremely difficult to do it even if you put down your price ecessively low.

Maria D.
Sep 15, 2008

christopherw54 wrote:
Why should we have to pay to convert to points? If Orange Lake wants to move from weeks to points becuase they believe it is the best direction for owners, then I think that is great! They should just convert the exchange system to points from weeks. I don't understand why we have to pay any money. I have also been told that your point values will be different based on the village and week(s) you own.

You don't need to change your Orange Lake week to the Global Points System .... you can merely stay with RCI and deposit your week with them for an exchange. I really don't know what advantage anyone would have in buying into a points system when you already have RCI to use for trades.

R P.
Nov 05, 2008

I hate the Global Access! I told the orange lake people that this is a pain. You can not exchange easily with RCI. You have to go through Orange Lake who then goes to RCI. You are lucky if you get ANYONE who understands their own system. If you want to exchange in another location, your points are only worth what RCI deems, not what Orange Lake deems. If you do exchange in an RCI resort that does not participates in the points, you MUST use your week. I had one RCI person tell me that the Hilton's, Marriotts, Sunterra's, etc who have their own exchange programs operate their own way also. I think they are all jocking to see who can be the top dog! It is soooooo miserable to try to exchange! I hate the complications. Nothing can be done on line...only by telephone with waiting for help!

Theresa R.
Jan 28, 2009

I have been an Orange Lake owner for 6 years. Last year, I switched to the point system and purchased another week. This year, I tried to exchange my points for an RCI reservation but they will only take 25,000 points.

Also, you have to request to use your points two weeks in advance.

I feel so bad that I bought the extra week. I bought the spiel hook line and sinker--and feel as if I have been taken. Now, I am stuck with a mortgage, high maintenance costs, and an Orange Lake management that does not seem to care about the present owners--but only care about those suckers whom they can draw into their stories of big promises, and no deliverance.

Diana H.
Jan 28, 2009

delorest6 wrote:

rodneym42 wrote:
ley2 wrote:

Brian W.
Jan 29, 2009

You don't need to change your Orange Lake week to the Global Points System .... you can merely stay with RCI and deposit your week with them for an exchange. I really don't know what advantage anyone would have in buying into a points system when you already have RCI to use for trades.

R P.
Jan 29, 2009

jayjay wrote:
Unfortunately, salesmen are using all kinds of scare tactics (i.e "soon there will be no more RCI weeks resorts available for trading") and outright lies about the progrm to get someone to switch to points.

Mike N.
Feb 03, 2009

Well, I understand that it is no longer Global Access. It is now the Holiday Inn Vacation Club. Big Deal! What are they selling this for? Like I reaaly want to use my points to stay a Holiday Inn

Lee S.
Feb 04, 2009

lee144 wrote:
Well, I understand that it is no longer Global Access. It is now the Holiday Inn Vacation Club. Big Deal! What are they selling this for? Like I reaaly want to use my points to stay a Holiday Inn

It's just another sales ploy. The founder (now diseased) of Orange Lake was the founder of Holiday Inns. The family still runs the business.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.