Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

What should a new owner do first when renting?

Jan 22, 2007

Hi,

I am a new owner and I would like to rent out one half of my two bed lockout. Could anyone tell me what is the process and what I should look out for?

Thanks,

John

Cathy M.
Jan 22, 2007

Read all of Jennie's post in this forum at Tips On Renting Out Timeshares. She has the best explanation I've seen. You can download or send for a rental kit with instructions from www.tstoday.com

R P.
Mar 11, 2007

I recently rented out my lock- off unit at a Marriott resort ( in Park City Utah) using Redweek. I am renting to 2 different parties for different rates and different stay durations. I am VERY happy wth the Redweek system. First I created 2 separate rental ads on the Redweek site. Then , after a couple of e-mails back and forth using the Redweek e-mal systems , renters agreed to my asking prices. It was only listed for 2 weeks and rented 30 days in advance of the use dates.

My original plan was to rent 1/2 and use the other 1/2 but my plans changed due to work obligations , so I had to rent both sections out .

I though about using the escrow payment system, (which is probably a good idea) but I asked for 1/2 the payment up front , with a second check dated the day after the week was over ( in advance) covering the second part of the rental.

I now have full payment in advance ( holding 1/2 for a month or so) at a total amount that was greater than the amount I got from Marriott when they rented it for a me a couple of years ago.

I didn't need to do anything about my original reservation at the Marriott until I had renters identified, then it just took a phone call to give them the new names and dates. Everything was then adjusted accordingly.

I will definitely use this service in the futuere since I plan to rent 1/2 of the unit and use the other half for skiing almost every year. That works better than trying to swap this unit for anything else that I like.

johnm13 wrote:
Hi,

I am a new owner and I would like to rent out one half of my two bed lockout. Could anyone tell me what is the process and what I should look out for?

Thanks,

John

Michael F.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.