Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Selling timeshare in St. Martin, Carribean

Apr 22, 2007

Does anyone have any experience with selling a timeshare in St. Martin. WEhat do I have to do?

By Michele

Michele D.
Apr 23, 2007

First of all you will need to adverise it on sites such as Redweek and/or other internet listing sites. If you get no interest in the first couple of weeks you will then need to lower your price until you start getting some interest.

When you have found a buyer you will need to contact a closing service such as www.timesharetransfer.com or Redweek's closing service to handle all the paperwork and provide escrow (holding monies until the transaction is complete).

R P.
Apr 24, 2007

Do you really need closing service for resorts that only require a transfer fee and a notarized document from the old owner transferring it to the new one?

John C.
Apr 25, 2007

If you feel comfortable with and have trust in the previous owner (seller), then yes, you can do that without a closing company. You will need to send a copy of the notarized document to the county courthouse (where the timeshare is located) for recording the timeshare week in your name from the previous owner's name.

johnc261 wrote:
Do you really need closing service for resorts that only require a transfer fee and a notarized document from the old owner transferring it to the new one?

R P.
Apr 25, 2007

P.S. If it's an out-of-country timeshare then I would definitely use a legitimate closing company to handle all paperwork and escrow if money is changing hands.

R P.
May 09, 2007

jayjay wrote:
P.S. If it's an out-of-country timeshare then I would definitely use a legitimate closing company to handle all paperwork and escrow if money is changing hands.

I get confused about the out of country aspect, selling my St. Maarten timeshares---they are leaseholds of property in the Antilles, but owned by Sunterra in Florida. Technically, is there is no title, merely a contract? But is the settlement governed by the Antilles or US law?

Deborah M S.
May 10, 2007

I would get in touch with Sunterra's headquarters in Florida to answer your question or the resort where you own in St. Maarten. It sounds like, from your description, that you own a RTU (right to use) timeshare that expires in a certain amount of time.

debs3 wrote:
I get confused about the out of country aspect, selling my St. Maarten timeshares---they are leaseholds of property in the Antilles, but owned by Sunterra in Florida. Technically, is there is no title, merely a contract? But is the settlement governed by the Antilles or US law?

R P.
May 10, 2007

jayjay wrote:
I would get in touch with Sunterra's headquarters in Florida to answer your question or the resort where you own in St. Maarten. It sounds like, from your description, that you own a RTU (right to use) timeshare that expires in a certain amount of time.

debs3 wrote:
------------------------- As opposed to a right to use, she might have a "deeded" membership to Club Sunterra.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on May 10, 2007 01:10 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.