Barcelo Aruba

rooms/reservations

Jun 29, 2007

we have a jr suite for our honeymoon in october. read reviews about not being able to get enough reservations at the restaurants for the week. does any one have any info about our room, and/or suggestions about reservations for dinner?

Debra G.
Jul 10, 2007

I am in the process of trying to rent a unit there for the week in March and have been reading reviews constantly. For every few good reviews, there are a few bad, so I'm concerned. I guess that happens everywhere though!

I think the resort had issues after first being renovated, so I hope that's not the case now. Hopefully they've hired more people and you won't have an issue. Good luck! I would call the Occidental to get the specifics if you are concerned about your room.

Janice L.
Jul 15, 2007

What does it mean by mandatory all inclusive...Does that mean you must pay the Occidental an all inclusive fee after what you pay for the timeshare??? What are the fees???

Roland D.
Jul 15, 2007

rolandd4 wrote:
What does it mean by mandatory all inclusive...Does that mean you must pay the Occidental an all inclusive fee after what you pay for the timeshare??? What are the fees???

From what owners have told me, people who bought timeshare there before 2001 were grandfathered into a clause that said that All Inclusive was optional. So, if you were to book through the Occidental directly, you would HAVE to purchase the All Inclusive, it's mandatory. When trying to find a rental, make sure you ask up front whether or not the owner has All Inclusive optional. I have still heard stories of people being told they didn't have to purchase it, and then upon checking in, they were told they had to. So beware and it would be a good idea to contact the hotel up front if you are renting from someone to find out if you have to purchase the AI or not.

I, for one, am not fond of any timeshare that indicates that AI is mandatory. No thanks. I'm not sure how much it is per day, you can probably find out from someone listing a rental that includes the AI. I want to say it's about $100 per person per day, but I'm just not sure.

Janice L.

Last edited by janicele on Jul 15, 2007 04:52 PM

Jul 29, 2007

I am a owner at the Occidental Aruba Grand. I do have mandatory All Inclusive in my contract. We like the AI feature. As an owner we pay $85 per day per person. If we rent it out, our renters would pay the same amount. I think if you rent a hotel room through the resort, you pay more. The AI includes everything 24/7 all your drinks, food (in 5 star resturants) all entertainment , they have dinner shows and more. When you think of what you pay for just 1 drink ($8.00 to $10.00 each) these days it is well worth the $85 a day. The resort is on Palm Beach and is beautiful. Well worth it.

Darlene G.
Aug 09, 2007

i saw your message below..at what age for kids do they start making you pay? my son is only 3 so just wondering if they would charge him anything?

also do you know how many square feet the units are for 2 bedroom. Last year we stayed at the marriot and loved it so wondering how this compares..seems to be more couples..but we want our son to have some kids to play with too...so wondering..since going at the end of feb i'm sure there will be some.

Thanks,

darleneg13 wrote:
I am a owner at the Occidental Aruba Grand. I do have mandatory All Inclusive in my contract. We like the AI feature. As an owner we pay $85 per day per person. If we rent it out, our renters would pay the same amount. I think if you rent a hotel room through the resort, you pay more. The AI includes everything 24/7 all your drinks, food (in 5 star resturants) all entertainment , they have dinner shows and more. When you think of what you pay for just 1 drink ($8.00 to $10.00 each) these days it is well worth the $85 a day. The resort is on Palm Beach and is beautiful. Well worth it.

Elizabeth C.
Aug 31, 2007

Do children pay the same $85 per day for all inclusive. Does anyone know what age pays what? Under age 18 or 12? If someone knows, please respond. Thanks.

Danielle C.
Aug 31, 2007

daniellem67 wrote:
Do children pay the same $85 per day for all inclusive. Does anyone know what age pays what? Under age 18 or 12? If someone knows, please respond. Thanks.

my son is 3 and he wouldn't pay...but not sure what age they start charging...rates can be higher then $85 as well..depends on the season...and you don't have to take the all inclusive either. I think it was $115 in spring 08. so we'll skip it if we stay there.

Elizabeth C.
Sep 03, 2007

elizabethc116 wrote:
daniellem67 wrote:

my son is 3 and he wouldn't pay...but not sure what age they start charging...rates can be higher then $85 as well..depends on the season...and you don't have to take the all inclusive either. I think it was $115 in spring 08. so we'll skip it if we stay there.

Children over 7 to 12 or 14 pay half price if you are an owner. I am an owner, with three little children. Best way to go is not to do the all-inclusive. I was there from July 28,07 to Aug 25, 07, it was the best thing for my family not to do the all inclusive. You have to decide what best for your family?

Sarbjit G.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.