Point Systems

Help with points question... Please

Jul 04, 2007

I am in the process of purchasing a points timeshare and am confused about the number of points. It is at Sedona Pines Resort # 4968 a one bedroom week # 16. According to the resort that week is 52.500 points but the deed is only for 42,000 points. The reply I received from the seller was " When converting to RCI Points you can choose how many points you would like to pay for and receive annually. The deeded week has nothing to do with the amount of points and besides RCI has changed their point values several times over the years" As you can see I am very new to this and need advice. Thanks

John P.
Jul 04, 2007

I believe the seller is WRONG.

Contact the resort and contact RCI. There is no "choose how many points you want" in this system.

It is true, however, that RCI changes number of points periodically.

Vicki Y.
Jul 26, 2007

johnp499 wrote:
I am in the process of purchasing a points timeshare and am confused about the number of points. It is at Sedona Pines Resort # 4968 a one bedroom week # 16. According to the resort that week is 52.500 points but the deed is only for 42,000 points. The reply I received from the seller was " When converting to RCI Points you can choose how many points you would like to pay for and receive annually. The deeded week has nothing to do with the amount of points and besides RCI has changed their point values several times over the years" As you can see I am very new to this and need advice. Thanks
===========

I was going to suggest that perhaps you were going to pay the White season price for a unit that requires 42,000 points in Red season--but Sedona is all Red time with RCI. This is a Gold Crown resort, but the explanation the salesman gave you is very...odd. If you are still "in the process", I would certainly get this clarified before you sign on the dotted line.

Does Sedona Pines have an internal points system of its own, separate from RCI? Could 42,000 of the resort's own point system equal 52,500 in the RCI POINTS system? I read all the rules and regulations for RCI POINTS today (20p) and ran across nothing that explains this. md

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Sep 19, 2007 11:55 PM

Aug 07, 2007

I have owned many timeshare properties, and still do, but I have no idea what the "Points" are about. Can someone please fill me in?

Charles
Aug 07, 2007

charles1757 wrote:
I have owned many timeshare properties, and still do, but I have no idea what the "Points" are about. Can someone please fill me in?

That's such a loaded question!! There are many points systems, and RCI has their own. Comes down to using points to book as many nights as you want. Point values will vary by season, location, resort, unit size, etc.

Vicki Y.
Aug 08, 2007

vicki296 wrote:
charles1757 wrote:

That's such a loaded question!! There are many points systems, and RCI has their own. Comes down to using points to book as many nights as you want. Point values will vary by season, location, resort, unit size, etc.

====== Yup. Good summary. Just realize that you can only book as many nights as you "want" if you have enough points! When you purchase, you are usually buying the "points equivalent" of a week in a certain size unit and season at your "home resort", but you are not oblilgated to use them in that way.

For example, our first Fairfield buy was in Pompano Beach, FL, for the equivalent of a two bedroom deluxe unit in High (not Prime) season: 154,000 FairShare points. We could use it just like that, or we could divide it up into a 4 night stay and a 3 night stay in High time. Sunday-Thursday nights require fewer points than Fri/Sat, so we could opt to take two 5 weekday vacations in this 2BR unit in High time. In Prime time, our week would shrink to fewer days, or we might choose a longer stay in a smaller unit. In Quiet or Value time, more days or a larger unit could be reserved. Since this was Fairfield (now Wyndham) these points could also be used at any of their other resorts across the country without any exchange fee.

In the Bluegreen Vacation Club points system, a 2BR Deluxe might be 1,200pts. This does not mean that BG is much less expensive than Fairfield. They just use a different unit of measurement. (Your house is the same size whether you measure it in feet or meters.) Again, we can stay at any related resort without extra fees.

The fewest points a resort will sell is usually the equivalent of a Studio unit in their lowest season. Unless this is an "add on" purchase, this will probably not be enough points to make you happy. Go for at least as many points as you will need for the size unit you usually require at the season in which you prefer to vacation. Then rearrange them to suit yourself!

I do not know whether any independent resorts have points systems. They are certainly more common (and useful) in multi-resort chains. Note that I said "systems" in the plural. There are variations. It pays to "take the tour", listen very carefully to the Presentation, and ask lots of questions before you buy. Then you have a very good chance of loving timeshareing in general and your point system in particular.

It is great to be able to save points by using a 1 bedroom or Studio when just the two of us are traveling. Then we can blow them on big units when family or friends go with us. Adahi

Mary D.

Last edited by adahiscout on Aug 08, 2007 10:18 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.