Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

I am interested in buying at San Luis Bay Inn / Avila Beach, Ca

Jul 12, 2007

I am new to timeshares and would like to hear from anyone who has recently visited or has a current share at SLBI. From the reviews I read they are very mixed as to the quality / service there. There are several different units offered and apparently a first and second phase (Suntera), what is the difference in quality between the two?

D M.
Jul 30, 2007

We recently purchased a resale San Luis Bay Inn.There are two sections at SLBI, the Sunterra section which has newer but smaller 1 and 2 bedroom units and the original "Glen Ivy units which are larger one and two bedroom units. From what I understand the studio units now have full kitchens. Our unit is a one bedroom in the Sunterra section.We chose to opt out of SunOptions and go with PSE . This however was no easy task! We had a very good closing agent who was in constant contact with Sunterra and PSE and worked with them until this problem was solved.Today, we were finally able to make a 2008 reservation! We also belong to Interval and was told today when I called that if we deposit the week we will get an exchange week and an AC! Now for you question about the property . When we stayed there 2 years ago, we were not happy with the condition of our unit which was the imperial one bedroom. It really needed to be updated! By the next day however, we realized that it was all about location, location,location! SLBI definately has that going for it! Hope this helps!

Linda M.
Jul 30, 2007

linmcginn wrote:
We recently purchased a resale San Luis Bay Inn.There are two sections at SLBI, the Sunterra section which has newer but smaller 1 and 2 bedroom units and the original "Glen Ivy units which are larger one and two bedroom units. From what I understand the studio units now have full kitchens. Our unit is a one bedroom in the Sunterra section.We chose to opt out of SunOptions and go with PSE . This however was no easy task! We had a very good closing agent who was in constant contact with Sunterra and PSE and worked with them until this problem was solved.Today, we were finally able to make a 2008 reservation! We also belong to Interval and was told today when I called that if we deposit the week we will get an exchange week and an AC! Now for you question about the property . When we stayed there 2 years ago, we were not happy with the condition of our unit which was the imperial one bedroom. It really needed to be updated! By the next day however, we realized that it was all about location, location,location! SLBI definately has that going for it! Hope this helps!
Thanks, who did you go through? I have been looking and the price ranges are all over the place. I am looking into a 1 bed 2bath or a 2bdrm. I was concerned because some of the reviews I read had the same concerns about the units needing refurbishing. The location is great. Are you happy with the overall package there? and thanks it helps.

D M.
Jul 31, 2007

We went through Timeshare Wholesalers. Saundra Mock was our sales agent and Maybelle was our closing agent. The last time we were there was two years ago on a sales presentation and although we were there for 3nights 4days we didn't spend a lot of time at the resort itself. We purchased SLBI to mainly use as a trader but it was also in an area where we love to go and the price was to good to pass up!

Linda M.
Jul 31, 2007

We went through Timeshare Wholesalers. Saundra Mock was our sales agent and Maybelle was our closing agent. The last time we were there was two years ago on a sales presentation and although we were there for 3nights 4days we didn t spend a lot of time at the resort itself. We purchased SLBI to mainly use as a trader but it was also in an area where we love to go and the price was to good to pass up! Thats where I am confused (price) lots out there. Do you know if there were postings from owners at the resort when you last went? Great info, thanks

D M.
Aug 01, 2007

When we went to visit SLBI we had no intention of buying.We already owned Mariott Newport Coast Villas(very happy owners I might add) and felt that we didn't need another timeshare. I have read however in another post, that they do have an area at SLBI that has a resale board. Have you considered doing a preview of the resort? It would be a great way to see if that's where you'd like to purchase! An then if you do like it buy resale.Be aware...... If you chose to buy a resale Sunterra side of SLBI and you want to be a part of Club Sunterra you will have to pay extra for that priviledge. We chose to op out because we didn't want to deal with points. It took a couple of months to get things changed over to PSE but now that it's all done we are happy! If you buy in the non Sunterra section you bypass dealing with Sunterra which is a big plus!! .

Linda M.
Aug 01, 2007

linmcginn wrote:
When we went to visit SLBI we had no intention of buying.We already owned Mariott Newport Coast Villas(very happy owners I might add) and felt that we didn't need another timeshare. I have read however in another post, that they do have an area at SLBI that has a resale board. Have you considered doing a preview of the resort? It would be a great way to see if that's where you'd like to purchase! An then if you do like it buy resale.Be aware...... If you chose to buy a resale Sunterra side of SLBI and you want to be a part of Club Sunterra you will have to pay extra for that priviledge. We chose to op out because we didn't want to deal with points. It took a couple of months to get things changed over to PSE but now that it's all done we are happy! If you buy in the non Sunterra section you bypass dealing with Sunterra which is a big plus!! .
Yes, I believe I would like a week vs points. I thought I saw somewhere that it was an additional 3,000 to join? Looks like it was quite a hassle to change over and PSE offers some good trades. I have made a bid on one timeshare so far but had no idea on what a good price was because of all the varied listing prices. I have seen some 1 bdrm 2 baths go from 4700 - 15,000?? and the same descrepancies on the 2 bdrms. Trying to educate myself by looking at forums like this and am in no hurry, since I like to have facts before spending. Your replies help and I do plan to do a visit. Anything else you may think of I would appreciate reading. Thanks

D M.
Aug 02, 2007

We made our reservations throughPSE and then we deposited our week with Interval. Because we deposited our week we were also offered a bonus week that is good for 1 year + an exchange week that is good for 2 years. With PSE you also have "bonus time". So for instance if I want to stay at SLBI for a couple of days and IF it's available, I can rent a studio for $55, 1 bedroom for $65 or a 2 bedroom for &75 a night. You can also use the other affiliated resorts but each resort may have different rates. You"re doing all the right things. As the saying goes,"good things happen to people who wait!"

Linda M.
Aug 05, 2007

linmcginn wrote:
We made our reservations throughPSE and then we deposited our week with Interval. Because we deposited our week we were also offered a bonus week that is good for 1 year + an exchange week that is good for 2 years. With PSE you also have "bonus time". So for instance if I want to stay at SLBI for a couple of days and IF it's available, I can rent a studio for $55, 1 bedroom for $65 or a 2 bedroom for &75 a night. You can also use the other affiliated resorts but each resort may have different rates. You"re doing all the right things. As the saying goes,"good things happen to people who wait!"
Thanks, again.

D M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.