Marriott's Maui Ocean Club - Lahaina Tower

Hyatt Next Door to Marriott

Aug 01, 2007

i have heard a rumor that marriott purchased the hyatt next door. has anyone heard anything. are they going to convert to timeshares or leave it a hotel and hopefully give it a face lift.

also heard a rumor that a football player has purchased an entire year.

Jeff M.
Aug 02, 2007

Host marriott owns the Hyatt. Sister co. to Marriott International or rather cousin. Complex consideration for timeshare as the brand conflicts and even more challenging getting approvals as Maui is looking to smart growth. Not suprising in light of the fact that these villas are Residences vs converted hotel suites and Location

Chris G.
Aug 03, 2007

christopher187 wrote:
Host marriott owns the Hyatt. Sister co. to Marriott International or rather cousin. Complex consideration for timeshare as the brand conflicts and even more challenging getting approvals as Maui is looking to smart growth. Not suprising in light of the fact that these villas are Residences vs converted hotel suites and Location

dont think that smart growth on the beach is the best plan for the area. not familiar with the hyatt and marriott being kissing cousins. hyatt has owned the facility for a long time. according to what i heard this was a somewhat recent transaction. thanks for the response.

Jeff M.

Last edited by jlminarik on Aug 03, 2007 03:26 PM

Aug 03, 2007

FYI Hyatt has managed the hotel since it opened 20 years ago however has not owned it for sometime. Host Marriott purchased it a few years ago from another REIT can't quite remember the name? Splitting hairs....fact is the Hyatt could use some $$$ to put the shine back on.

Chris G.
Aug 04, 2007

christopher187 wrote:
FYI Hyatt has managed the hotel since it opened 20 years ago however has not owned it for sometime. Host Marriott purchased it a few years ago from another REIT can't quite remember the name? Splitting hairs....fact is the Hyatt could use some $$$ to put the shine back on.

agreed

Jeff M.
Dec 04, 2007

You got it right concerning ownership versus management of the Maui Hyatt.

The deal was done in 2003. More info here:

http://starbulletin.com/2003/10/15/business/story1.html

NOTE one little tidbit that is of MAJOR interest: There is a vacant piece of of Hyatt land just adjacent to the MVCI Lahaina Tower (currently being used for the Hyatt Luau). My Marriott sales guy said you can expect a Hyatt Vacation Club timeshare property to be built there in the not-too-distant future. Views from that side of the Lahaina tower will obviously change significantly as a result.

Gregory B.

Last edited by gblotter on Dec 04, 2007 05:20 PM

Jan 25, 2008

jlminarik wrote:
i have heard a rumor that marriott purchased the hyatt next door. has anyone heard anything. are they going to convert to timeshares or leave it a hotel and hopefully give it a face lift.

also heard a rumor that a football player has purchased an entire year.

Someone purchased an entire year recently but hadn't heard that it was a football player.

Judy M.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.