Timeshare Companies

Diamond Resorts

Sep 02, 2007

They bought out our timeshare company. How are they: good, bad,......?

Louise B.
Nov 18, 2007

louiseb11 wrote:
They bought out our timeshare company. How are they: good, bad,......?
You will be very happy with the upgrades in quality, choices, simplicity and comforts that you have now that Diamond bought Sunterra. I work for them but I have also been an owner since 1996 and am very excited about what the future will bring. I actually just added more points because Diamond is going to add some great features and choices in the near future.

So don't worry, be happy, it is a very good thing!

Hope this was helpful, ML

MaryLou E.
Apr 22, 2008

So far we've been very dissapointed. Diamond got rid of Carlton Court, the only resort Sunterra had in London. We stayed there last spring and had a wonderful time. Why would they do it??? I was really looking forward to go back there some day... So, I don't see any positive changes, just negative so far... We don't have a choice though or a voice to decide anything...

Anna C.
Apr 22, 2008

obezyanka wrote:
So far we've been very dissapointed. Diamond got rid of Carlton Court, the only resort Sunterra had in London. We stayed there last spring and had a wonderful time. Why would they do it??? I was really looking forward to go back there some day... So, I don't see any positive changes, just negative so far... We don't have a choice though or a voice to decide anything...

Yeah -- it pretty much sucks. I used to be able to book with ease as a Sunterra member, now, with Diamond, every time I've tried to make a reservation everything is all booked up. That one's easier to figure out. Since the merger of the two companies there are more people competing for the lodging options. I will probably end up selling the timeshare and never buying one again. I've had this timeshare for 7 years and this is the 3rd time it's changed owners. That leaves the consumer with very little control, plus the maintenance fee jumped from 600 to 800.00.

Plus, initially there were two lodging options for Park City when Diamond first took over. Now there's only one -- and guess what -- that one is booked up solid. So they seem to have a history of being unreliable when it comes to lodging options offered.

Louise B.

Last edited by louiseb11 on Apr 22, 2008 03:09 PM

May 01, 2008

Once before they didn't process my automatic deduct mortgage payment. Since then, I always keep on eye on my account to make sure the payment is processed on time. Now, guess what, it's happened again, only, to make matters worse, this one is for the final mortgage payment.

So I call to pay it by phone, since their response to e-mails generated from their website is a joke.

Obviously, the final payment is going to be a different amount than what has been the standard monthly payment. But their phone payment system won't accept an amount that is different -- even though it is the amount of your final payment. As I cycle through their voice mail system, I get 3 different messages for my account -- one saying the payment is past due, another saying no payment is pending, and then another, stating the final payoff amount. I spent 30 MINUTES FIGURING OUT HOW TO GET PAST THE AUTOMATED SYSTEM. Then got put on hold for 10 minutes.

I finally got a clerk to take my payment information. The worst part is, if a payment is not automatically processed as it is supposed to be, Diamond Resorts will not make any attempt to notify you, even though the failure to process is on their end. They will just keep racking up the late payment fees and make you fight to get the penalties that you are entitled to rescinded.

NEVER, NEVER, DO BUSINESS WITH DIAMOND RESORTS.

Louise B.
Jul 03, 2008

We sold our timeshare back to Diamond this year. Besides getting banged for the maintenance fees for the full year they also conveniently forgot to tell us that "the Club" fees we paid were also non refundable. Paid us less than half to take this burden off our hands but also took us for the outstanding for things we will NEVER use.(when will I use the Club in the next six months) Very shady business if you ask me. Emails are answered in a very slow manner and with as little info as possible. I cc'd the owner Stephen Cloobeck; when I sent back the missive of my disgust with the whole buyback procedure. I have yet to hear back from him or his contact jockeys.(although I received an automated response that he would read and answer every email) This has left an even nastier taste in our mouths and the realization that 90% of these companies are a fleece operation, nothing more. Do the REAL math and you will find that even if you stay at the same place over and over again this doesn't pay. We paid an exorbitant amount for one week which we had to supplement with maintenance fees and all the other fees. Those realistically worked out to be more than if we were to rent the same resort, through redweek; for a full month of weeks. With all the deals and bargains on the internet one can really save and stay in quality places without maintenance fees, club fees or upfront realty fees. I am again a happy traveler. See you somewhere soon!

PS if you are looking to buy a timeshare watch redweek for deals and only buy newer units with low maintenance fees.

David H.
Jul 04, 2008

davidh273 states: >>We sold our timeshare back to Diamond this year.<< ================================================

It's virtually unheard of for a timeshare company to "buy back" a week at ANY price (right of first refusal situations aside). Most won't even take a deed back for FREE and fees of any kind previously paid are never refundable. You were obviously an unhappy camper, but the "plus" side here is that they actually assisted you in getting out at all, albeit at a loss. Most companies won't do even that much. You're luckier than you may actually realize...

KC
Jul 04, 2008

davidh273 wrote:
Do the REAL math and you will find that even if you stay at the same place over and over again this doesn't pay. We paid an exorbitant amount for one week which we had to supplement with maintenance fees and all the other fees. Those realistically worked out to be more than if we were to rent the same resort, through redweek; for a full month of weeks. With all the deals and bargains on the internet one can really save and stay in quality places without maintenance fees, club fees or upfront realty fees. I am again a happy traveler. See you somewhere soon!

PS if you are looking to buy a timeshare watch redweek for deals and only buy newer units with low maintenance fees.

My sentiments exactly .... I would not buy a timeshare week unless I wanted a hard to get location in a hard to get time period (ie: ken who owns in southwest florida during snowbird season .... very high demand, very low supply) and even then I would look for rentals first.

Also, things can change and have changed .... just look at Hawaii and Aruba, and other exotic fly to destinations where tourism is taking a beating due to high airfares, charges for luggage plus the hassle of flying period. And the cost of gasoline even to drive to a timeshare is $4.00+ and rising weekly.

There are SO MANY accomodation/vacation/timeshare/condo/home rental sites on the internet now, including Redweek, that I would not weigh myself down with ever increasing maintenance fees and possible special assessments that HAVE to be PAID forever or until it's sold. Owning can become an economic albatross around one's neck.

R P.
Mar 07, 2009

Can you explain how you got Diamond to buy your timeshare? I am trying to unload my unit at Green Springs, Va. and have paid several timeshare re-sellers to list it....to no avail. If there is any way to get Diamond to buy it back at any price I would jump at the chance. Please advise.

Catherine M.
Mar 07, 2009

Hi Catherine, Unfortunately I do not have an email address for them however if you go to their website they may have a contact email listed. Your best bet would be to appeal to them, ask if they have a buyout plan for owners. I was actually contacted by Diamond right after they took over my timeshare resort. The resort is in Maui and I had a deeded property. I don't know the details of why they wanted to buy it back. Knowing nothing about your resort I couldn't even venture to say how they will react. It is worth a try though. good luck, Dave Williams

David H.
Aug 21, 2009

do you have the email address to Stephen Colbeck. we have an issue and I want to know how to get them back.

Zaher M.
Sep 04, 2009

I have been offered membership in Diamond Resorts 6500 pts. for services rendered. The services are a sunk cost, I'm trying to determine if I want the asset at all.

I've never owned a time share and some of what I am reading is less than enticing.

Any feedback about Diamond Resorts is aprpeciated. Thanks!

Jeff P.
Sep 05, 2009

I have had some issues with diamond too and from email addresses of other employees it looks like they use a simple email pattern of firstname.lastname AT diamondresorts.com

I sent an email to their chairman (CEO?) stephen.cloobeck AT diamondresorts.com, though he did not respond to me directly, I did get a call from their customer service about a day later and the man on the phone was more concerned than any other people I had spoken to. Try it.

~Tracy

Tracy G.
Apr 18, 2012

DO NOT go with Diamond Resorts. Diamond does not care about there members, only if you buy more points then they love you. I originally brought with Sunterra 10 years ago, when they took over my maintenance went from $700 a month to $1,700 a month with all the fees they added. They also raised the points for stays at resorts. I have 10,000 points which get me one week at the Scottsdale links for $1,700. If I have to do all over again I would have look in the Sheraton time share. We exchanged for the place in Scottsdale last year and saw how they treated there members.

Bob L.
Apr 18, 2012

The dirty little secret of timeshares is the only one who benefits from the timeshare are the timeshare corporations. Your maintenance fees and mortgage fees ensure the corporation on unending revenue stream whether you lodge with them or not. Think about -- your money pays for their vacancies. Selling timeshares is like an insurance policy for the timeshare corporation.

I finally unloaded ours and I will NEVER, NEVER buy one again. I get a better deal staying at the Holiday Inn using our credit card loyalty points.

Louise B.
Apr 19, 2012

They also hold back rooms from members so they can rent them to outsiders. Diamond Resorts can care less about you or me they are only interested in the MONEY.

Bob L.
Apr 30, 2012

I have owned Sunterra since 1998 and am now enjoying the ownership with Diamond as a Silver member. You need to understand the system and maximize your points. My original 1 week has been stretched to 3 weeks now.

Buy resale.

Timeshare U.
Apr 30, 2012

4weeks wrote:
I have owned Sunterra since 1998 and am now enjoying the ownership with Diamond as a Silver member. You need to understand the system and maximize your points. My original 1 week has been stretched to 3 weeks now.

Buy resale.

Yes. I am with you on this. I have enjoyed my membership as well.

Charles S.
Oct 24, 2013

Charless345, you are all over these forums and you are the chief apologist for Steve Cloobeck and Diamond Resorts.

charless345 wrote:
4weeks wrote:

Buy resale.

Robert R.
Oct 26, 2013

robertr558 wrote:
Charless345, you are all over these forums and you are the chief apologist for Steve Cloobeck and Diamond Resorts.

charless345 wrote:
4weeks wrote:

Buy resale.

I don't apologize for anyone. However, I read a lot of very uninformed comments from people who signed a contract and did not take the time to understand what they read and then complain and blame everyone else. It's not just for DRI but for other resort systems as well. I call it as I see it. Sometimes DRI is not right in an act or they are looking at their best interests and not that of their membership. When I see that I call that one too. I am objective. I am able to do that. I try to get the maximum out of my timeshare memberships. I do that with both Marriott and DRI. I save lots of money through those memberships. One because I do use them and two because I use them to my advantage. When I stop saving money and the rules have been changed outside of what my signed contract states, then and only then will I complain. One other thing, when I have a problem, I do call customer service and they often are able to resolve my problem and if they are wrong they take care of me. I am not a platinum member but a gold one and no, I do not work for DRI. You are welcome to come to our Facebook DRI members website and see that I don't work for them and read all of my comments. There are people in the system like me who are happy and there are some who are not happy. Isn't it that way for most things people have?

Charles S.

Last edited by charless345 on Oct 26, 2013 09:45 PM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.