Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Is there a way to get money back from timeshare resale scams?

Sep 17, 2007

I paid two different companies $300 each to sell my timeshare and I have not heard back from either one, and this was a year ago. When I call there is no answer and no response to my messages. I think it might be too late for a credit card dispute. Does anyone know of any other way to get my money back?

Rebecca R.
Sep 17, 2007

rebeccar63 wrote:
I paid two different companies $300 each to sell my timeshare and I have not heard back from either one, and this was a year ago. When I call there is no answer and no response to my messages. I think it might be too late for a credit card dispute. Does anyone know of any other way to get my money back?

A year after the fact, it is indeed far too late to pursue any credit card charge dispute (the customary limit is 60 days). If you have the full name and address of the company, I recommend filing a written (no phone calls) complaint with the Attorney General's Office in the state in which these parasites are located (statistically, that's most probably Florida). Be detailed, specific and present your facts in a chronological order. If you don't have at least a full name and street address (not a P.O. Box), interest in assisting you will diminish quite rapidly.

There are other consumer advocacy entities mentioned in these forums (Hauffman & Associates comes to mind), who reportedly will go to bat for you with the company (if they even still exist) for a percentage of the recovered money. I do not know further details and have no personal experience with them, but a forum search here should at least yield a phone number for you to contact them. The chances of recovering 100% of your money at this point are, unfortunately, just about exactly zero, but good luck.

KC

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.