Sep 21, 2007

So this is my first time trying to rent a timeshare. I don't know what i should do. i am reading about deposits and agreements. Can someone who is exerienced please tell me how things work and what i should do being a first timer?

Lynn R.
Sep 22, 2007

If you are trying to rent your OWNED week you can rent it to anyone you choose. If you are trying to rent a week you have deposited and exchanged (with RCI or II) then that's not allowed. You CAN give/gift an exchange to family or friends by purchasing a guest certificate and the only monies that are allowed to be reimbursed you are the cost of the exchange fee and the guest certificate fee (somewhere around $213). Anything over that amount would be considered profit and is not allowed.

R P.
Sep 22, 2007

I understand too, if you are an RCI Points member, that you cannot even rent your "home" unit, even if it has not been exchanged for points in the current year.

David D.
Sep 22, 2007

I am not using anything through RCI. i own a timeshare throught Fairfield and will not be using it this upcoming year. I set up a reservation for a week in an area i think people would like to rent.

Could anyone tell me where i can get a rental agreement and what is typical for a deposit? Basically what procedures to you all go through when you rent out a timeshare.

Also could i sell my points that i will have leftover from the year for fairfield? Everything i'm seeing on here is things set up for certain places for certains time frames. I'd love to just sell the points for the year, but i haven't really seen people doing that.

And on other quesitons what destinations and time of the year is the most desirable? What sells the quickest typically.

Lynn R.

Last edited by lynnr90 on Sep 22, 2007 08:36 PM

Sep 23, 2007

lynnr90 wrote:
I am not using anything through RCI. i own a timeshare throught Fairfield and will not be using it this upcoming year. I set up a reservation for a week in an area i think people would like to rent.

Could anyone tell me where i can get a rental agreement and what is typical for a deposit? Basically what procedures to you all go through when you rent out a timeshare.

Also could i sell my points that i will have leftover from the year for fairfield? Everything i'm seeing on here is things set up for certain places for certains time frames. I'd love to just sell the points for the year, but i haven't really seen people doing that.

And on other quesitons what destinations and time of the year is the most desirable? What sells the quickest typically.

There's a sample rental agreement here (copy and paste url):

http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=11389&message_id=14145&query=rental%20agreement#14145

I'm not familiar with any of the point systems so I cannot help you in that area. You might ask your question in the Points forum for a better response.

R P.

Last edited by jayjay on Sep 23, 2007 07:16 AM

Oct 08, 2007

I own a floating week every year at The Point at Poipu (formerly Embassy Vacation Resort) in Kauai and am wondering if I should try and sell the week or rent it out. I know I would lose money by selling but I get so frustrated trying to exchange (currently trying to find a place in Vancouver, BC for over 9 months for Jun-Aug 08 without success). If I want to rent out my week should I list it for any week Jan-Dec 08 and let the prospective renter select the date they wish or should I select a specific week, call the resort. reserve it and then place the listing for that week? Also what procedure is required to rent thru RCI?

I also have not banked my week for 2007. Would it be possible at this late date to find a week that someone might want to rent for this year. I would only like to be able to get a reasonable rate to possibly recoop the majority of my annual fees.

I am totally lost at this and I must admit that I do not understand anything about this process and would appreciate any advise.

Debbie C.
Oct 08, 2007

debbiec146 wrote:
I own a floating week every year at The Point at Poipu (formerly Embassy Vacation Resort) in Kauai and am wondering if I should try and sell the week or rent it out. I know I would lose money by selling but I get so frustrated trying to exchange (currently trying to find a place in Vancouver, BC for over 9 months for Jun-Aug 08 without success). If I want to rent out my week should I list it for any week Jan-Dec 08 and let the prospective renter select the date they wish or should I select a specific week, call the resort. reserve it and then place the listing for that week? Also what procedure is required to rent thru RCI?

I also have not banked my week for 2007. Would it be possible at this late date to find a week that someone might want to rent for this year. I would only like to be able to get a reasonable rate to possibly recoop the majority of my annual fees.

I am totally lost at this and I must admit that I do not understand anything about this process and would appreciate any advise.

============== You posted this question in different areas and you can check my reply to your other post. But to expand on the specific question of renting for this year. It’s possible, but at this late date it may be difficult. Check out the RedWeek exchange program. While you may not see anything you like, if you bank your week with RedWeek you’d have three years to make an exchange. Are you a member of Interval International? You might have a better selection of exchange availabilities and unlike RCI, you can request an exchange before you bank your week.

RE: “Also what procedure is required to rent thru RCI?” Fellow posters, correct me if I’m wrong, but you cannot rent your unit through RCI.

Mike N.
Oct 09, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
RE: “Also what procedure is required to rent thru RCI?” Fellow posters, correct me if I’m wrong, but you cannot rent your unit through RCI.

You are correct. RCI is an exchange company only, however they have their own rental section called Last Call and Extra Vacations, but they don't rent member units at all.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.