Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

sandcastle resort provincetown ma

Sep 27, 2007

They had a posting on the wall for timeshares selling for $2,000.00 and 3-5 hundred dollar maintenance fee, I was told to call a certain number and I did. How do I know if I buy this time share I will get what I paid for. It wasnt a company just said to call this number and talk to Jewell.

Dennis B.
Sep 28, 2007

dennis837 wrote:
They had a posting on the wall for timeshares selling for $2,000.00 and 3-5 hundred dollar maintenance fee, I was told to call a certain number and I did. How do I know if I buy this time share I will get what I paid for. It wasnt a company just said to call this number and talk to Jewell.
======================================

It might be a private sale, so there is nothing unusual about someone privately selling their own timeshare.

I'm going to answer a question that you did not even ask, because (no disrespect intended) you may not be well familiar with some pertinent timeshare details.

It's very important for you to clearly understand that there are some float week owner reservation restrictions (called "blackout periods") in place at some lower Cape Cod timeshare facilities, including Provincetown (and other popular coastal areas elsewhere in the U.S. too).

If what you're looking at is a "float" week, please make VERY sure that you clearly understand the specific weeks / times of year when you can (and cannot) make your annual reservation UNDER THAT PARTICULAR OWNERSHIP. If your goal is "summer usage", for example, and the float ownership restricts you to "fall and winter" weeks, then you're looking at potentially buying something which is actually absolutely useless to you. Once you get that "reservation restriction" information from the seller, then call the resort directly, referencing the seller week by seller name, to confirm for yourself anything and everything which the seller has told you about any "reservation restrictions" or applicable "blackout periods". I learned this lesson (the hard way) in a timeshare purchase many years ago (not in Provincetown). Understand clearly that once you buy it, you own it, even if you failed to understand all of the details (and restrictions) of what you bought. Make sure that you know and understand exactly what you are buying, and what reservation restrictions, if any, are permanently attached to that particular ownership.

Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 28, 2007 07:35 AM

Sep 30, 2007

ken1193 wrote:
dennis837 wrote:
======================================

It might be a private sale, so there is nothing unusual about someone privately selling their own timeshare.

I'm going to answer a question that you did not even ask, because (no disrespect intended) you may not be well familiar with some pertinent timeshare details.

It's very important for you to clearly understand that there are some float week owner reservation restrictions (called "blackout periods") in place at some lower Cape Cod timeshare facilities, including Provincetown (and other popular coastal areas elsewhere in the U.S. too).

If what you're looking at is a "float" week, please make VERY sure that you clearly understand the specific weeks / times of year when you can (and cannot) make your annual reservation UNDER THAT PARTICULAR OWNERSHIP. If your goal is "summer usage", for example, and the float ownership restricts you to "fall and winter" weeks, then you're looking at potentially buying something which is actually absolutely useless to you. Once you get that "reservation restriction" information from the seller, then call the resort directly, referencing the seller week by seller name, to confirm for yourself anything and everything which the seller has told you about any "reservation restrictions" or applicable "blackout periods". I learned this lesson (the hard way) in a timeshare purchase many years ago (not in Provincetown). Understand clearly that once you buy it, you own it, even if you failed to understand all of the details (and restrictions) of what you bought. Make sure that you know and understand exactly what you are buying, and what reservation restrictions, if any, are permanently attached to that particular ownership.

Good luck.

Thank you for your information. you are very helpfull.

Dennis B.
Oct 01, 2007

dennis837 wrote:

We don't know if Jewell is a timeshare reseller or a private party, however you must perform your own due diligence before buying any resale timeshare. Ask Jewell for the owner's name and week he/she supposedly owns and call the resort for verification of that information. Or you can have Jewell have the owner fax you verfication that they are the owner of that week (re: copy of most recent paid maintenance fee, copy of contract etc.)

If Jewel refuses to give you this information then I would not do business with her.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.