Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Need help to Rent or Sell my T/S in Hawaii using RCI

Oct 08, 2007

I own a 2 bdr every year floating week thru RCI at The Point at Poipu (frmrly Embassy Vacation Resort) in Kauai. I have found it almost impossible to be able to exchange for a specific area (ie: Vacouver or Victoria in BC for Jun-Aug 08) and am now looking for alternative ways to use the week. If I want to rent the week should I reserve a specific week (summer, Christmas, etc) and then list that week for rent or list the entire year Jan-Dec 08 and let the prospective renter select the date that they want and then call the resort and book that week?

If I reserve a specific week and find a renter what are the procedures that I need to follow for a smooth transaction for both parties?

If I don't reserve a specific week, and list the entire year, once a potential renter is found what are the steps to follow?

Also what is the most common procedure for deposits and contracts?

Is there somewhere I can go to get a step by step "playbook".

I am new at this and all help would be appreciated. I also do not use the internet much and am totally lost with all of this. thanks

Debbie C.
Oct 08, 2007

debbiec146 wrote:
I own a 2 bdr every year floating week thru RCI at The Point at Poipu (frmrly Embassy Vacation Resort) in Kauai. I have found it almost impossible to be able to exchange for a specific area (ie: Vacouver or Victoria in BC for Jun-Aug 08) and am now looking for alternative ways to use the week. If I want to rent the week should I reserve a specific week (summer, Christmas, etc) and then list that week for rent or list the entire year Jan-Dec 08 and let the prospective renter select the date that they want and then call the resort and book that week?

If I reserve a specific week and find a renter what are the procedures that I need to follow for a smooth transaction for both parties?

If I don't reserve a specific week, and list the entire year, once a potential renter is found what are the steps to follow?

I am new at this and all help would be appreciated. I also do not use the internet much and am totally lost with all of this. thanks

================== RE: “I own a 2 bdr every year floating week thru RCI at The Point at Poipu (frmrly Embassy Vacation Resort) in Kauai.” I assume that you mean you use RCI as your exchange company and you don’t actually own your unit through RCI. If you have already deposited your week with RCI, you CAN NOT rent it out. ……… RE: “If I want to rent the week should I reserve a specific week (summer, Christmas, etc) and then list that week for rent or list the entire year Jan-Dec 08 and let the prospective renter select the date that they want and then call the resort and book that week?” Yes, you can list your week either way. However, contact your resort to see if they will change a reservation once it’s made. If they will do this, then I suggest your reserve a high demand week and list the rental as being available anytime. When you get a serious inquiry, contact the resort and change the reservation to the desired week. Hopefully it will still be available. I have done this with my own floating week, but again you need to check your own resort’s policies. ……… Regardless of whether or not you book the week before or after the renter is found, the procedure is the same. You will make the reservation and get a written confirmation. Contact your resort for their policies and procedures when renting the unit as they may require the confirmation be written in the name of the renter. A contract must be signed. Payments can be made in any manner in which you feel comfortable. If a payment is made by check, be sure the check clears prior to sending the confirmation. There is a great deal of advice from the many posters regarding payments, contracts, scams, etc. Just review the s posts in the topic “How Can I Rent a Timeshare” (http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=9888)

In addition to listing the rental with RedWeek or other sites, check the RedWishes for anyone looking for a Hawaiian rental.

Good Luck, Mike

Mike N.
Oct 09, 2007

mike1536 wrote:
debbiec146 wrote:

================== RE: “I own a 2 bdr every year floating week thru RCI at The Point at Poipu (frmrly Embassy Vacation Resort) in Kauai.” I assume that you mean you use RCI as your exchange company and you don’t actually own your unit through RCI. If you have already deposited your week with RCI, you CAN NOT rent it out. ……… RE: “If I want to rent the week should I reserve a specific week (summer, Christmas, etc) and then list that week for rent or list the entire year Jan-Dec 08 and let the prospective renter select the date that they want and then call the resort and book that week?” Yes, you can list your week either way. However, contact your resort to see if they will change a reservation once it’s made. If they will do this, then I suggest your reserve a high demand week and list the rental as being available anytime. When you get a serious inquiry, contact the resort and change the reservation to the desired week. Hopefully it will still be available. I have done this with my own floating week, but again you need to check your own resort’s policies. ……… Regardless of whether or not you book the week before or after the renter is found, the procedure is the same. You will make the reservation and get a written confirmation. Contact your resort for their policies and procedures when renting the unit as they may require the confirmation be written in the name of the renter. A contract must be signed. Payments can be made in any manner in which you feel comfortable. If a payment is made by check, be sure the check clears prior to sending the confirmation. There is a great deal of advice from the many posters regarding payments, contracts, scams, etc. Just review the s posts in the topic “How Can I Rent a Timeshare” (http://www.redweek.com/forums/messages?thread_id=9888)

In addition to listing the rental with RedWeek or other sites, check the RedWishes for anyone looking for a Hawaiian rental.

Good Luck, Mike

I have not deposited my 2008 week, so if I understand you correctly I could reserve a high demand week from the resort, then place an ad for availability any time of the year and once an offer is rec'd, call the resort and change my date to the one requested. What do I do if the week requested by the potential renter is not availavble? What weeks are best excluding Christmas of course. I will call the resort today. Thanks for info.

Debbie C.
Oct 09, 2007

debbiec146 wrote:
mike1536 wrote:
debbiec146 wrote:

Good Luck, Mike

I have not deposited my 2008 week, so if I understand you correctly I could reserve a high demand week from the resort, then place an ad for availability any time of the year and once an offer is rec'd, call the resort and change my date to the one requested. What do I do if the week requested by the potential renter is not availavble? What weeks are best excluding Christmas of course. I will call the resort today. Thanks for info.

=========== When a week is requested you must inform the potential renter that you must check availability (explain it's a floating week). There is nothing you can do if the week is not available, but the same would be true if you did not reserve a specific week. Also, does your resort have a rental program for their owners. I would not know which weeks are high demand weeks in Hawaii. Again, check with your resort for their policies. Also keep checking the RedWishes for requests for Hawaii.

Mike N.
Oct 10, 2007

This is a gold crown resort in a very popular vacation destination and you shouldn't have any trouble renting it. I would advertise it as a week 1-52 (depending on availibility) so as not to narrow your rental pool down to merely one holiday week. This is an international destination and holiday weeks in other countries don't coincide with holiday weeks in the USA or Canada with the exception of Christmas, New Years and Easter.

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.