Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Deeded timeshare taxes & residency issues

Dec 09, 2007

I am a UH student. I live in Hawaii 12-months a year. I have a part time job and I file my own taxes. Because I moved here from the mainland as a student, 30 credit hours a year, I have to pay out of state tuition. I'm told that "if I own real estate in Hawaii", I would be eligible for in-state tuition. If I buy a deeded timeshare, and have the deed recorded in my name, would that qualify me for the much lower in-state tuition?

Tom A.
Dec 10, 2007

toma81 wrote:
I am a UH student. I live in Hawaii 12-months a year. I have a part time job and I file my own taxes. Because I moved here from the mainland as a student, 30 credit hours a year, I have to pay out of state tuition. I'm told that "if I own real estate in Hawaii", I would be eligible for in-state tuition. If I buy a deeded timeshare, and have the deed recorded in my name, would that qualify me for the much lower in-state tuition?
=========== You should be checking with the appropriate officials who would make the final decision. UH residency requirements are outlined very clearly on their website (www.hawaii.edu/admrec/res.html). The ownership of a timeshare does not make one a resident. Good Luck with your studies.

Mike N.
Dec 10, 2007

toma81 wrote:

I agree completely with Mike's provided reply above.

With all due respect, a general Internet discussion forum on timeshares is hardly the best (or even an appropriate) place to obtain a definitive (or binding) answer on the legal residency requirements of a state educational institution, whose policies have their origins under the applicable provisions of state law.

KC
Dec 11, 2007

Actually the above is, in my opinion, only partly correct. Residency is a state of mind, as one can be a resident of any state, or more than one, at the same time. The true question is, 'Where are you domiciled?" You can be a resident of many places, but only domiciled in one. Your domicile is the residence you lay your head down and call your perminant home. Any other home is merly your residence.

For what its worth, you can call a park bench your domicile if thats where you call your perminant home. However, I assure you no state will grant in state tuition to someone claiming the park as his residence absent a court determining this fact. As for a timeshare, it is impossible to have this as your domicile since you may onky live there one week a year. Better to claim the bench outside the community ;-)

J A.
Dec 11, 2007

ja116 wrote:
Actually the above is, in my opinion, only partly correct. Residency is a state of mind, as one can be a resident of any state, or more than one, at the same time. The true question is, 'Where are you domiciled?" You can be a resident of many places, but only domiciled in one. Your domicile is the residence you lay your head down and call your perminant home. Any other home is merly your residence.

For what its worth, you can call a park bench your domicile if thats where you call your perminant home. However, I assure you no state will grant in state tuition to someone claiming the park as his residence absent a court determining this fact. As for a timeshare, it is impossible to have this as your domicile since you may onky live there one week a year. Better to claim the bench outside the community ;-)

==================================

Interesting philosophical observations, but state law (....not state of mind) ultimately determines "residency" requirements by providing clear and specific legal definition thereof. However, we certainly do agree that owning a timeshare week "just ain't gonna cut it" in any state or any scenario......

KC

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.