Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Very few answering rental requests?

Jan 09, 2008

I must have sent out at least 10 requests for an Orlando rental for my dates in May in the last week. I've gotten three replies! (one I didn't care for the resort they offered BTDT and it wasn't a good experience...the other was much higher than advertised price. (?) Last one date not available) What's up lately? I've been renting once, twice, three times a year here for probably the last 9 years and never had this problem before. Always at least got a "sorry your dates aren't available" type email.

So what is a renter to do besides be frustrated?

Another question I have is how can prices for the same place (example ones offered not for certain dates but for the whole year) vary so much in price? One resort that is a fav of ours I see ranges from 750 to 1500. Yes all are equal in that they are 2 bed/2bath. Just wondering about this. I can understand making a few bucks. No problem with that at all! But double prices for the same thing? Do these high priced ones really rent?

Nancy H.
Jan 10, 2008

nannerfl wrote:
I must have sent out at least 10 requests for an Orlando rental for my dates in May in the last week. I've gotten three replies! (one I didn't care for the resort they offered BTDT and it wasn't a good experience...the other was much higher than advertised price. (?) Last one date not available) What's up lately? I've been renting once, twice, three times a year here for probably the last 9 years and never had this problem before. Always at least got a "sorry your dates aren't available" type email.

Another question I have is how can prices for the same place (example ones offered not for certain dates but for the whole year) vary so much in price? One resort that is a fav of ours I see ranges from 750 to 1500. Yes all are equal in that they are 2 bed/2bath. Just wondering about this. I can understand making a few bucks. No problem with that at all! But double prices for the same thing? Do these high priced ones really rent?

I can't imagine why you're getting all the mumbo jumbo replies, however you need to contact Redweek management for the person who raised his ad rental price ... that's not an ethical way to do business ... also the person who replied that your dates were not available (if they were the posted dates in the ad.)

The variance in price for the same type rental is set by the owner of that specific week. Some may ask more for rent as they may have paid developer price for their timeshare as opposed to someone who bought resale who may be asking less for rent or just enough to cover their maintenance fees. The same goes for selling a timeshare .... some people ask very high prices for their developer bought timeshare as opposed to someone who bought resale.

As far as Orlando goes, you shouldn't have a problem getting a rental there as it's the most overdeveloped timeshare resort area in the world. Just bide your time and keep emailing those that you're interested in renting from. Also, May should not be a highly demanded month since kids are not out of school yet ... don't get discouraged and keep doing what you've been doing as you have several months to find a unit.

R P.
Jan 10, 2008

nannerfl wrote:

From looking at your account it may be that some of the postings were floating and the week you need was not available. I also noticed that some of the postings you inquired about said in the "details" area that the price was for weeks further out then 60 days. This might have been the price difference. Some of the inquiries were sent less then one week away which we generally give owners one week to reply. If you still don't hear back from them please email support@redweek.com.

Thank you, Marty

Marty F
Jan 11, 2008

Yes most that I sent to were floating weeks as I have yet to come across a resort I'm interested in that is for the dates I need. Some did have dates but once you clicked on the listing they said "other dates may be available" so I tried. So far no postings of any price (granted I do have a price cap) on the dates I'm looking for, at least at the resorts I'm looking at. Actually I'm seeing very little May at all.

My frustration stems from some of the first people I contacted have yet to reply. Seems the newests ones have answered.

I don't recall in years past waiting as close as 60 days to rent a week. I'm not saying it didn't happen that close but since we go about the same time each year I usually start looking much farther out. Guess I didn't even realize, after all these years, that it was cheaper/easier that close. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Thanks for the replies and I'll keep sending requests as they show up (in my price range of course :D)

Nancy H.
Jan 11, 2008

nannerfl wrote:
Yes most that I sent to were floating weeks as I have yet to come across a resort I'm interested in that is for the dates I need. Some did have dates but once you clicked on the listing they said "other dates may be available" so I tried. So far no postings of any price (granted I do have a price cap) on the dates I'm looking for, at least at the resorts I'm looking at. Actually I'm seeing very little May at all.

My frustration stems from some of the first people I contacted have yet to reply. Seems the newests ones have answered.

I don't recall in years past waiting as close as 60 days to rent a week. I'm not saying it didn't happen that close but since we go about the same time each year I usually start looking much farther out. Guess I didn't even realize, after all these years, that it was cheaper/easier that close. Maybe I've just been lucky?

Thanks for the replies and I'll keep sending requests as they show up (in my price range of course :D)

I 'm not making excuses for their bad manners but there are many names this last few months that seem to be new.

Many of these may have just join to rent and after renting just left. They may not have showned the class to enter that their unit was rented and just don't come on here any longer.

I would say you might be better off just having your list of dates and resorts you want and watching rental sites.

Well your sitting on the fence waiting for replies you may just be missing some great deals on here and other sites!

GOOD LUCK

Phil L.
Jan 11, 2008

nannerfl wrote:

============== Do you have a RedWish posted as well? I may have something that may (or may not) work for you in terms of resort, size, dates, price, etc, but RedWeek staff would get a bit perturbed if I solicited a rental in this forum. Mike

Mike N.
Jan 11, 2008

nannerfl wrote:

Hi,

Since I started renting my timeshare weeks recently using redweek.com I have been surprisingly please with the response. Have patience and keep trying. Unfortunately, due to illness, job commitments, or family issues, last minute cancellations come up. As long as you have some flexibility on your check-in date(s), I am confident you will find what you are looking for.

Susan N.
Jan 12, 2008

Thanks again everyone for your replies. I didn't have a redwish, used them before but haven't had the need the last few years, but I do have one now :D To be honest I had forgotten about them but this way I can get my exact date and places I'm interested posted. Thank you for the idea!

No flexibility as we took advantage of a great airfare sale and always meet friends the same weekend each year. This of course makes our dates firm and renting a bit harder.

Sadly I lost all my previous rental contacts in a computer crash. Having those made renting easier some years.

Nancy

Nancy H.

Last edited by nannerfl on Jan 12, 2008 09:32 AM

Jan 12, 2008

nannerfl wrote:
Thanks again everyone for your replies. I didn't have a redwish, used them before but haven't had the need the last few years, but I do have one now :D To be honest I had forgotten about them but this way I can get my exact date and places I'm interested posted. Thank you for the idea!

No flexibility as we took advantage of a great airfare sale and always meet friends the same weekend each year. This of course makes our dates firm and renting a bit harder.

Sadly I lost all my previous rental contacts in a computer crash. Having those made renting easier some years.

Nancy

Nancy,

If you need previous rental contacts from RedWeek.com please email support@redweek.com attention Marty and I can help you with that.

Thanks, Marty

Marty F

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.