Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

RCI AND OTHERS LIKE IT??

Feb 05, 2008

I AM NEW TO THIS, WHILE LOOKING TO GO TO ARUBA FOR A WEEK IN NOV (FOUND TO BE WEEK 44) I STARTED THINKING ABOUT BUYING A TS IN ARUBA. RIGHT NOW IM IN THE PROCESS OF RENTING A TS FOR THAT WEEK.. NOW FOR THE QUESTION THAT I WOULD LOVE ALL ANSWERS OR DIRECTIONS TO FIND THE ANSWER..

I HAVE BEEN GETTING HEADACHES FROM READING SO MANY POSTS BUT CANT FIND MY ANSWERS.. WHAT ACTUALY ARE "RCI" AND LIKE COMPANYS? IF I BUY A TS DO I HAVE TO USE ONE OF THESE COMPANYS? IM LOOKING TO BUY AND USE OR RENT OUT MYSELF AND NOT INTERESTED IN TRADING FOR ANOTHER TS, SO DO I NEED TO DEAL WITH THESE COMPANYS?? THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP!!!

Steve D.
Feb 05, 2008

steved182 wrote:
I AM NEW TO THIS, WHILE LOOKING TO GO TO ARUBA FOR A WEEK IN NOV (FOUND TO BE WEEK 44) I STARTED THINKING ABOUT BUYING A TS IN ARUBA. RIGHT NOW IM IN THE PROCESS OF RENTING A TS FOR THAT WEEK.. NOW FOR THE QUESTION THAT I WOULD LOVE ALL ANSWERS OR DIRECTIONS TO FIND THE ANSWER..

I HAVE BEEN GETTING HEADACHES FROM READING SO MANY POSTS BUT CANT FIND MY ANSWERS.. WHAT ACTUALY ARE "RCI" AND LIKE COMPANYS? IF I BUY A TS DO I HAVE TO USE ONE OF THESE COMPANYS? IM LOOKING TO BUY AND USE OR RENT OUT MYSELF AND NOT INTERESTED IN TRADING FOR ANOTHER TS, SO DO I NEED TO DEAL WITH THESE COMPANYS?? THANK U ALL FOR THE HELP!!!

RCI and II are exchange companies and you do not have to belong to any exchange company after purchasing a timeshare. The exchange companies are for trading purposes only, and if you plan to use or rent your timeshare yourself, there is certainly no need for you to join an exchange company.

R P.
Feb 05, 2008

jayjay wrote:
steved182 wrote:

RCI and II are exchange companies and you do not have to belong to any exchange company after purchasing a timeshare. The exchange companies are for trading purposes only, and if you plan to use or rent your timeshare yourself, there is certainly no need for you to join an exchange company.

Thank you JayJay, iam more at ease with this whole TS idea now..

Steve D.
Feb 05, 2008

steved182 wrote:
jayjay wrote:
steved182 wrote:

Thank you JayJay, iam more at ease with this whole TS idea now..
============= You should confirm if you purchase an RCI Points resort you are not required to join RCI. That being said, here's the "scoop" on RCI and II.

RCI (Resorts Condominiums International) and II (Interval International) are two of the largest timeshare exchange companies. RCI has more resorts than II, but some of them are nothing more than converted hotels or apartment complexes. RCI has two systems. One is a traditional weeks system where you exchange your week for another on a one-for-one basis. Unfortunately RCI's procedure is such that you have to deposit your week BEFORE you can search for an exchange. Once deposited, you lose control of the week (i.e. rent or use). There are many unhappy RCI members who deposit and then have problems finding an exchange they want.

The other RCI system is a points-based system where you get an annual allocation of points to use for exchanging. This gives you a lot of flexibility for travel. For example, a two bedroom in the Divi Golf Village in Aruba might get you over 100,000 points. You can stretch this to multiple weeks at the Divi or other resorts if you stay in studios or 1 bedrooms.

II has only one system right now and that is a week for week exchange. The good thing about the II exchange program is that you can look for an appropriate exchange prior to depositing your week. You may not find the week you like, but at least you'll still have the ability to rent it or use it.

Most, if not all, resorts are affiliated with either RCI or II. Some are affiliated with both.

If you ever decide to exchange you can always join RCI or II in the future. Redweek has its own exchange program, but in my opinion it still has to flaws.

Finally, make sure you research the resale market for your purchase, prior to your. If you end up at a developer's presentation, at least you know the true value of the TS.

Good Luck and enjoy Aruba.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.