Point Systems

purchasing points

Feb 13, 2008

Would someone please explain the procedure that I would go to if I just bought some points (through e bay or other places) but I didn't have a membership in that particular resort. For instance, if I purchased POINTS from an internet source at Diamond Resorts (formerly Sunterra, how do I go about accessing the site that would tell me what was available for purchase with the purchased points?

In addition, if I purchased RCI points, and am a member or RCI weeks, how do I get to access the site that lists what is available with points?

When you purchase a timeshare week, you can deal directly with the resort or on your direction, have that week put into a spacebank such as II or RCI. I pay my maintenance fee and that also covers the cost of making my reservations. When you purchase points, doesn't that just add a "middleman," meaning that you still have to pay a maintenance fee but then you also have to pay the "middleman" to deposit/exchange and then have to pay RCI or II for actually doing it?

E U.
Feb 14, 2008

I can't speak for all the systems...With FF/wyn, you do need to have closed and the rersort has to have you on file before you can access the web or utilize there reservation system. I assume it is the same for others but could be wrong. You can go to the website and get info on the resorts, but will not have full access until your resale contract is on file with the resort and you have a member number ect. If you just want info thats provided on there locations you can just go to the corresponding web site. I won't speak on the RCI question except that I believe and could be wrong that Points accounts access a totally differnt thing so you would need your actual points account. The third question I am not sure I understand it entirely but... With Wyndham and I know with Diamond, Bluegreen and all the others I know about you pay some sort of assesment fee for the program i.e Fairshare plus. Then you can use your points in the system to do internal exchanges. With Wyndham the RCI membership is included as part of that assesment. You really though are not paying additional fees except for those that allow you to use the exchange system unless you make a exchange through RCI in which case you would pay the exchange fee as you would with a fixed week. jim

Jim Y.
Feb 14, 2008

Sorry one more thing to clarify. You would not pay a RCI or II exchange fee unless you were doing a exchange through them and not through your internal exchange system. Jim

Jim Y.
Feb 14, 2008

jimy21 wrote:
Sorry one more thing to clarify. You would not pay a RCI or II exchange fee unless you were doing a exchange through them and not through your internal exchange system. Jim
Thanks so much for your lengthy reply. It does a great job of clarifying things for me.

E U.
Feb 14, 2008

If you are currently an RCI weeks member and you purchase an RCI Points week at a different resort, RCI will combine the two memberships into one (you pay only one membership fee). After all the RCI membership paperwork has been completed, you will have two different sign-ins to the RCI website, one for Points and one for Weeks. If you own an RCI Points timeshare, you can deposit your RCI weeks unit to get additional points. Regarding Diamond/Sunterra. Be careful what you buy through eBay. While they advertise SunOption points, you might only be able to use them with the 19 resorts in the Florida Trust or exchange with RCI. Some Sunterra resorts do not have points at all and are exchanged in the traditional manner with RCI. Then there is Club Sunterra which is the program touted by developers. You are able to access over 100 other Sunterra resorts as well as exchange through Interval International. I've gotten mixed responses on whether or not a person buying into this Florida Trust membership can convert to Club Sunterra for approx $3000.

Mike N.
Feb 14, 2008

Sorry for the length. It is a very complicated thing to express shortly. Its just complicated in general IMHO! Jim

Jim Y.
Apr 10, 2012

Point at Poipu Owners!! Here is the announcement for which we have all been waiting! The lawsuit has been filed! It was filed Friday in Federal District Court in Hawaii. COPP will be mailing out a note with the lawsuit attached. It will also be going up on our website. I think that we will have DRI's attention now! What did Mr. C say? Yes, that's right, there are "10" unhappy customers. We'll see...

David L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.