Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

Renting using escrow company - pros/cons?

Feb 26, 2008

I am an owner of a platinum plus July 4th week. I have rented my unit several times, without an escrow company, and have always just added the renters name as Guest 2 to my reservation, which ensures that the renter will keep the platinum plus priority regarding room choice request, such as ocean view, when they check in.

I read somewhere that if Marriott knows that a guest is renting that they will be flagged a "renter" and will be put at the bottom of the request list at check in. Is this true? I could check directly with Marriott but it's my experience that they are not always 100% accurate with their answers.

I am renting again this year and my renter wants to use an escrow company. I know it's safer for them to use the escrow company, but will using an escrow company somehow flag them as a renter with Marriott?

Diana V.
Feb 26, 2008

d529 wrote:
I am an owner of a platinum plus July 4th week. I have rented my unit several times, without an escrow company, and have always just added the renters name as Guest 2 to my reservation, which ensures that the renter will keep the platinum plus priority regarding room choice request, such as ocean view, when they check in.

I read somewhere that if Marriott knows that a guest is renting that they will be flagged a "renter" and will be put at the bottom of the request list at check in. Is this true? I could check directly with Marriott but it's my experience that they are not always 100% accurate with their answers.

I am renting again this year and my renter wants to use an escrow company. I know it's safer for them to use the escrow company, but will using an escrow company somehow flag them as a renter with Marriott?

==============

The use of the escrow company is between you and the other party; Marriott should not be involved except to provide confirmation that you have the unit reserved. First American Title is the escrow company listed on RedWeek and their agreement can be found via the HELP link (I cannot speak for other companies).

From their agreement: "Upon notice from Escrow Holder that Renter has made the Final Rental Payment, Owner will immediately notify the resort manager in writing that the Renter will be occupying the Rental Property during the Rental period. Owner shall provide a copy of such notice to Escrow Holder and Renter."

I assume this notification can be as simple as adding the name to GUEST 2 as you have always done. This should be sufficient to prove to the Escrow Company that you have made the necessary arrangements. Please don't take my word for it though. Check with the escrow company for their specifics.

Keep us posted. I'm sure many RedWeek members will be interested as to which company you chose to use and the final "results", such as ease of use, costs, resonse from the escrow company, etc.

Mike

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Mar 03, 2008 07:56 AM

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.