General Discussion

Quarter House in New Orleans

Mar 16, 2008

We're considering a stay at the Quarter House in June, but are a little uneasy about the multiple negative postings on Trip Advisor regarding mice and roaches. There was also some concern about safety, as one reviewer referenced a room theft while they were sleeping! On the plus side, we've seen many many positive reviews as well. Which to believe? Also, are there any safety concerns about walking back to the area late at night from Bourbon Street?

Sue T.
Mar 16, 2008

We've been to New Orleans many times. We formerly owned a week at Hotel de L'Eau Vive on Tchoupitoulas St. across Canal St. (main downtown street) from the French Quarter. We never saw any roaches or bugs there. We've never stayed at Quarter House but it's reputation is among the finest of timeshares in NOLA.

We also never had any trouble with theft even though housekeeping came every day. However, I wouldn't leave any valuable jewelry or money lying around at ANY hotel or resort. There are safes at the front desk.

Quarter House is in an excellent location in the French Quarter and within walking distance to all the Quarter and Canal St. has to offer. I believe Quarter House is one block from Bourbon St.

As far as safety concerns, I wouldn't venture outside of the French Quarter at night, but I wouldn't do that in any large city. The French Quarter is heavily patrolled with cops on horses, plain clothes cops and unifromed cops. Tourism is the life blood of New Orleans, especially since Katrina, and the cops come down hard on anyone messing with a tourist.

You must ride the trolley to see NOLA's historic destrict and the beautiful homes along it's path. I read that the historic district wasn't affected by Katrina, so nothing much will have changed.

R P.
Mar 16, 2008

We’ve stayed at the Quarter House several years ago and at the time we did not see any mice, roaches, etc. Nearby the Quarter House are bars and restaurants; trash tends to be placed in the various alleys, which of course could attract mice. The Quarter House had a quaint courtyard and I could imagine a field mouse scampering around grounds there.

As Jayjay said Quarter House is about one block from Bourbon Street, but if returning to your unit late at night, I would be very diligent. The trek between Bourbon Street and Quarter House takes you through side streets, which were not very brightly lit. Usually there are other tourists returning to their timeshares and hotels. I always felt safe, but, again as Jayjay said, in any city you need to be aware of your surroundings. Also check with Quarter House staff. They can tell you which areas to avoid. Be careful of street beggars. One ploy that was popular when I was there was a guy betting you that he could tell you where you “got your shoes”. The answer…you got your shoes on your feet. Sounds corny, but I had someone try this on me, unsuccessfully I might add.

I found the French Quarter very interesting. I don’t know if it is still like this, but I was intrigued that I could walk down Bourbon Street and pass a convenience store, a “5-star” restaurant, a sex show and a Jazz club…all within a few hundred yards of each other.

My most amusing moment was the evening my wife and I was walking down Bourbon Street and saw a small crowd gathered near one of the many balconies. Guys on the balcony had handfuls of Mardi Gras beads and another “partner in crime” was trying to entice the female tourists to… Well, those of you familiar with Mardi Gras know what I mean. While I was not close enough to hear what was going on, it was funny to see the women listen intently to the “animated proposal”, then see the look of shock on their faces as they stormed away. However, I must say that not all women stormed away in disgust. To the delight of the “guys on the balcony” some of the women participated in the fun. The best part was that I saw a Dad who had his young son (6-7 years old) on his shoulders at the edge of the crowd. While the Dad was stretching his neck to see what was going on, his son had the perfect view of the “huge tracts of land” I think my wife was a little bummed-out because she was not approached. LOL.

One final suggestion is to take the shuttle (assuming they still have one) from the airport. You won’t need a car around the French Quarter and there is no parking at the Quarter House. You would need to pay fee to park at a nearby garage. If you want to take a day trip somewhere else, then it would not be a problem renting a car for a day or two. Have Fun

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Mar 16, 2008 11:02 AM

Mar 25, 2008

Thanks for the feedback. Your info was really helpful. We decided to go for it and booked a unit in May.

Sue T.
Mar 26, 2008

suet59 wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Your info was really helpful. We decided to go for it and booked a unit in May.
============ Enjoy yourselves and keep us posted.

Mike N.
Mar 26, 2008

suet59 wrote:

May is a good month to visit NOLA, especially early May, as June, July, August and September are very hot and humid months (stifling actually).

R P.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.