Timeshare Exchanges

What is a Lockout??

Aug 29, 2008

I am unfamiliar with the term "lockout" unit. In alot of the resort reviews, people say to stay away from them. I'm just wondering why and also how do you kow when you exchange through Redweek if the unit is a lockout unit? Will the listing say it is?

TIA, ~janice

Janice J.
Aug 29, 2008

A "lockout" is a unit (generally 2BR or larger) whose physical layout allows for complete separation into two independent units, with a locked door between the two units.

The "locked off" studio portion is almost always quite small, which may be why you may see advisories to avoid the small studio portion of a "lockoff".

I can't speak for RedWeek regarding how a "lockoff" might be listed. For starters, on any exchange site, it always depends on WHICH part of the lockoff the owner actually deposits. Sometimes, to improve rental value or deposit value, an owner will actually CHOOSE to occupy the much smaller studio portion, in order to get either more money (for a rental) or more exchange value (if depositing for exchange) out of the larger portion of the "lockoff". My guess is that a RedWeek listing would not ever actually identify a lockoff, but would instead simply accurately identify the size / portion of the lockoff deposited for exchange (studio, 1 BR, 2 BR, etc.). It shouldn't matter much to a potential exchanger whether it's a "lockoff", unless of course the potential exchanger is concerned about just how small the "studio" portion might be (and some "studios" can be very small indeed).

I hope this helps you somewhat....

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Aug 29, 2008 09:11 AM

Aug 29, 2008

Janice, I would agree with Ken. Every Resort may be be different (like husbands). A 'lockoff' my be similar to a Motel ROOM.. (they are all different too). Price does not 'reflect' what you may be bidding on..... SO, IF/when you (or anyone) find an advert that 'appeals' to you.... ASK the Owner questions.... Lots of questions... even IF you have had previous experience; because 'problems' can only be prevented if there is Clear Understanding between Parties. Get a telephone number that you can contact the Owner for whatever reason... sometimes the Resort makes an Error. Without NAMES and Numbers, your vacation can have a Poor Start.

Even a Hotel Stay can be 'shocking' when Checkout Time arrives. WE have to be SURE to get the Name of the person and Confirmation ##/details and ask about ALL taxes, fees, restrictions, whatever, when we make Reservation.

Donald D.
Aug 29, 2008

janicej25 wrote:
I'm just wondering why and also how do you kow when you exchange through Redweek if the unit is a lockout unit? Will the listing say it is?
The only thing that will be listed is that it is a studio, i BR, etc. There is no other information such as limited kitchen, stairs, etc.

Mike N.
Aug 30, 2008

Thank you everyone!! Especially donaldd67--got quite a chuckle over the husband comment :)

~janice

Janice J.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.