Timeshare Exchanges

Memberships in Exchange companies

Sep 14, 2008

We have recently purchased a ts in Kissimmee with II as the exchange company. We know that they have other "discount" offers for hotels, cars etc. but we don't travel that much and we have CAA (AAA ins US) which also offers discounts as well we have a travel trailer. So paying a high membership fee when an exchange is possible through Redweek.com doesn't make sense. My question is; because the resort uses II does that mean we are limited to using II or can we belong to, say Redweek for exchanges and not bother with II?

Gordon H.
Sep 14, 2008

gordonh45 asks in part: >> My question is; because the resort uses II does that mean we are limited to using II or can we belong to, say Redweek for exchanges and not bother with II?<< ============================================

The fact that your resort is reportedly affiliated with II as an exchange company certainly does NOT mean that you ever HAVE to buy a II membership, now or at any time in the future. To do so is purely your choice and your option. That's also the case if the resort happens to be dual affiliated (i.e., if also affiliated with RCI, as well as II). Membership in (or use of) an exchange company is an individual choice and a personal option.

You can exchange through RedWeek whether or not you ever choose to acquire II (or RCI) membership. However, you obviously can't deposit the same week in the same year with more than ONE exchange entity at the same time. Once you deposit a week with ANY exchange entity, that week is then completely "off the table" for you to rent out, to use yourself, or to deposit with any other exchange company in that particular year.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Sep 14, 2008 06:38 PM

Sep 14, 2008

Thanks Ken, I knew that membership was my option but thought that since my resort was affiliated with II that I had to use them for exchange. You have cleared that up for me. I certainly can't see paying $138 a year for membership and not benefit from it as well as paying that or more to exchange.

Yes, I realize that depositing my week with an exchange company "it's off the table" for my use in any way. But I'd only do that if I wanted to go somewhere else of course.

Thanks again.

Gordon H.
Sep 15, 2008

If you plan on exchanging your TS every year, you might want to consider joining II for at least the first year. The RedWeek exchange program is still young and as a result the exchange opportunities may be limited. IMHO, the point values aren't consistent. For example, both II and Redweek had the same resort available for exchange. But with RedWeek I would've had to buy additional points at a cost of $800-$900.

Mike N.
Sep 15, 2008

Yes, I found that out today. Because of a "short turn-around time" my ts was valued less than one that I was interested in yet my resort has more to offer and is five star compared to two, according to reviews. I am still a member of II and I looked up a few examples of exchanges and one was in Hawaii and the difference, as I expected, was that I could exchange my 2 br. w/k sleeping 6 for a 1 br w/k sleeping 4. That sounded pretty decent to me. The time frame for use was about the same.

So I am still considering hanging in there yet with II as they also have some cheap "get-away" offers that really are much lower in rent than usual. So if we've let our kids use our ts we can always go somewhere else real cheap. We'll see what Redweek has to offer for next year. But I am not necessarily going to exchange every year. I'm not this year, just wanted to get an idea of the value. One of kids and her family are going to use it this year....it's at Kissimmee!

Gordon H.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.