Hacienda del Mar Resort

renting a car???

Nov 30, 2008

My family of 5 will be staying at the hacienda del mar for 10 days this christmas. We have never been before, we are renting a presidential suite from someone I found through Red Week last spring. Does anyone have advice on whether or not it is economical to rent a car?

Thanks,

Kathy

Kathleen D.
Dec 04, 2008

We had 7 women visiting in Nov.

You can figure on about $20/pp one way for the shuttle to the hotel and about $5/pp one way into town. We didn't bother renting a car, and it worked out okay.

The middle of town is torn up right now with road construction and is a little confusing...

I would also suggest going to Walmart and getting water, wine and breakfast and lunch stuff at least - we spent $140 for 7 of us for almost the whole week's food/water/wine/beer!

Be sure to go walking on the beach at dawn - and stop by for the free coffee outside Tomatoes. You'll see the cruise ships go by all lit up and get some gorgeous pictures - nothing could be more peaceful !

Have a great time - we loved it. Merry Christmas.

Sue B.
Dec 04, 2008

Thanks for the information, it is helpful.

How far is it to the walmart? Did you take a taxi?

Kathy

Kathleen D.
Dec 04, 2008

The Wallmart is about half way into town on the main road. We took a shuttle - they have a "shuttle caller" right there in the parking lot and the shuttle driver and caller load all your bags into the shuttle for you (we tipped them a couple of dollars). Door to door service - direct the shuttle driver as close as you can get to your condo to unload.

Bottled Water in 2 gal containers for $1.40 - we brought sports bottles and just refilled. Don't stop on the way from the airport anywhere - water for a case was TWENTY DOLLARS! Also you can get wine and beer at the Wallmart also - so do all your shopping for food/bevs there.

Trinkets and gifts - get them in town - they are 1/4 the price of the hotel and hawkers at the beach - and haggle everywhere - you can get them down to at least half of what they ask.

Sue B.
Dec 06, 2008

If you plan to leave the resort like most people do, you'll want a rental. The taxi and shuttle fees and tips really add up. It's $50 into town round trip, And $75 each way to the airport. Plus you'll want to do some shopping. Even though the rental cars are expensive, you'll save money and have more flexibility. You'll probably want to do some sightseeing, like travelling to Todo Santos, into Cabo, or San Jose del Cabo. You may also want to go into Cabo during the day, and then go back at night for dinner. It's only 10-15 minutes away. Restaurants at Hacienda are steep, we almost always went into Cabo. We also stock up at Costco for our room.

We've rented at Alamo and Hertz. Alamo is quite a bit cheaper, but then the add a $10 mandatory insurance whereas Hertz is more money, but they include the insurance. Yes you do need the insurance, even if your US liability covers you. It's Mexican law.

My recommendation, just rent the car.

Scott B.
Dec 06, 2008

Thanks for the information. I appreciate it!

Kathy

Kathleen D.
Dec 06, 2008

Either way. Make sure you feel comfortable "wandering around" in traffic and construction downtown!

If you do get a car, a long time visitor to the resort (Joan somebody) told us to definitely go to San Jose and go to the restaurant called "El Matador" - which is actually the real matador's home. She said it was fabulous. We didn't get there, but plan to try that next time.

We did try another of her suggestions in Cabo.... Restaurant Alcarvea on 16 de Septembre Street (the shuttle driver had a VERY hard time finding it - since it is DEFINITELY outside of the tourist area on the other side of town (to the right as you're facing town).... it is outside with white tarps defining the area - gourmet Italian - absolutely fabulous food - probably came out to $35/pp with several glasses of wine. We loved being "away from the tourists"!

Sue B.
Mar 31, 2009

We want to go to Cabo the week of 7/11-7/18? Is it pretty safe in Cabo and is it safe to venture into town especially if we are driving a rental car ourselves?

Yolanda R.
Jun 01, 2009

Yes it is safe, been there many times.

Konnie M.

Last edited by marty8084 on Jun 01, 2009 12:32 PM

Sep 25, 2012

I've read much about prices of rental cars when staying a HDM. Now I hope someone can answer my question about the price of the Resort's shuttle RT into Cabo town and also the hours it runs and the intervals between runs. Or does it run on an "on call" basis?

Sasquash L.
Mar 12, 2013

We always rent a car. We use FOX at the airport. It is quite cheap. Book it on Travelocity or their website.

Hans F.
Mar 25, 2013

We have gone to Cabo for many years now and I always feel like I am getting ripped off by the rental car agencies. I have never heard of FOX? Are they in the airport or on the outskirts like most? How long was your rental for and how much did you pay . . . if you don't mind. Thanks JD

John D.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.