Timeshare Exchanges

Frustration with RCI AI Mandatory

May 18, 2009

I own 4 Gold Crown, red weeks in tropical locales. I've been trying for many years to trade to the Mayan Riviera. I've been able to trade into the Mayan Palace which I like but it's a 1 in 4 year rule and they enforce it. Every other property on the Mayan Riviera, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Puerto Aventuras, Puerto Morelas are all AI Mandatory!! When I go to the Mayan Riviera, I like to get out and explore many days. We leave the resort at 9:00a with our bathing suits and cover ups and return at 10:00p. There are some days we stay at the resort all day and eat/drink there but that's not what I go there for. At one time the El Cid in Puerto Morelas was AI Optional, which was perfect; now, it too is AI Mandatory. I've complained to RCI about it and they say people like the AIs. If that's true, why are there so many AI Mandatory available? I'd think with the economy and not as many people traveling, the resorts would offer AI Optional. I'm just frustrated!! Any thoughts?

Mary P.
May 19, 2009

islandanne wrote:
I own 4 Gold Crown, red weeks in tropical locales. I've been trying for many years to trade to the Mayan Riviera. I've been able to trade into the Mayan Palace which I like but it's a 1 in 4 year rule and they enforce it. Every other property on the Mayan Riviera, Playa Del Carmen, Tulum, Puerto Aventuras, Puerto Morelas are all AI Mandatory!! When I go to the Mayan Riviera, I like to get out and explore many days. We leave the resort at 9:00a with our bathing suits and cover ups and return at 10:00p. There are some days we stay at the resort all day and eat/drink there but that's not what I go there for. At one time the El Cid in Puerto Morelas was AI Optional, which was perfect; now, it too is AI Mandatory. I've complained to RCI about it and they say people like the AIs. If that's true, why are there so many AI Mandatory available? I'd think with the economy and not as many people traveling, the resorts would offer AI Optional. I'm just frustrated!! Any thoughts?
RCI does not determine if a resort is AI. This is the decision of the individaul resort. Check the resort's own website to see what they charge and then compare to the fees listed by RCI. Sometimes, RCI members get a discount on the fees. In any case the fees are paid directly to the resort, not to RCI.

Mike N.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.