Timeshare Companies

I am a former TIMESHARE EMPLOYEE IN MEXICO

Feb 08, 2020

I also own at NYX in Cancun’s till 2025. My maintance fees are due every other year. They are due in January of this year. I have not received a statement and not able to log in on resortcom.com anymore for some reason. I’ve got a few phone numbers and searched on line. So far I have not be able to reach anyone. Any suggestions or advice would be nice.

Cynthia S.
Feb 08, 2020

I contacted them via email. You could try this: ResortCom International <resortcom@mailva.custhelp.com> Here’s is another: (Lisa McCarville) (08/17/2019 10:43 AM) Entered by client Lisa McCarville (lmccarville@resortcom.com): Here is a telephone number: ‭+1 (702) 263-9650‬ Hope this will help! PK

Marge S.
Feb 18, 2020

Hi- not ending. No one will be upfront with me, they want my maintenance fee even tho I have indicated that I do not want to stay at the NYX resort. No one will even tell me that I can cancel my membership, its just a total run around with NO transparency about how things could happen.

cindir26 wrote:
I am in the middle of this same situation...wondering how yours ended,,??

whmis
Apr 23, 2020

Were paying timeshare in mexico for almost 2 years can we still stop it coz its really hard nowadays to pay it.and i think we dont have a plan to have vacation there again.

Gclaire D.
Apr 23, 2020

gclaired wrote:
Were paying timeshare in mexico for almost 2 years can we still stop it coz its really hard nowadays to pay it.and i think we dont have a plan to have vacation there again.

You certainly won't get back any of the money that you have already paid, but you can simply make the decision to pay not another penny.

If you do stop paying, there is absolutely nothing those thieving Mexican parasites can do, except to terminate your RTU (right to use). So what? It doesn't sound like you plan to return there anyhow, so why continue to throw good money after bad? Just stop paying them!

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Apr 25, 2020 12:13 PM

May 03, 2020

Never pay anyone money upfront that claims they can get you out of your contract .

Don P.
Sep 08, 2020

So you are saying that they can't put the unpaid maintenance fees to a collection agency that will put it on your credit?

Sheila D.
Dec 30, 2020

How do I get out of these fully paid for El Cid RTU TS contract fees?

I have a RTU 20 year contract at Al Cid at Playa Morelos that is to 2033 but is fully paid off. I have owned it since 2013 high pressure sales pitch but have only used it twice. They agreed to take my Kissimmee Florida 1/2 share and Myan TS in trade (I know...), but I don't see any mention of that on my contract, and I get phone scam calls regularly to purchase my Vida TS ( previously Myan) so I am obviously still on that Vida owners list. When I asked one of the over 30 Vida OTP scam offer call people where they were getting my contact info from they confirmed off the Vida website for listed owners. When I told them that I haven't owned that TS for over 7 years and El Cid took it in trade they said they must not have as I am still a registered owner according to the website (but I never have received any contact from either Myan/Vida or the Kissimmee TS's for stopping paying their fees, so I don't know). Here is the Kicker - I have already recently fell for a Mexican class action lawsuit scam, that lasted over 4 months of back and forth emails and court challenges from a supposed Mexican government appointed law firm to sue these fraudsters for all my purchase price plus damages ( of 3 times what I paid for the El cid and other contracts...I know again!...) where I made them promise on the original email there would be no up front fees for this, and of course they agreed and confirmed on email there wouldn't be....but as expected my cheque for 140K was made out to me from the Mexico government, but I had to pay a currency exchange and transfer fee of $2500 to the Mexican exchange commission, but since they had previously confirmed to me there wouldn't be any up front fees, they agreed to pay $1000 of it as a good faith gesture, so I "only had to pay $1500 of it". Then I got a call that the funds made it to Nevada before being flagged by U.S. as fraudulent and questionable source funds and required another $3500 USD for disputing that, but again they already paid $1500 of it for me so I only had to pay $2000 and then the funds couldn't get cleared through to Canada so they got returned to the Mexico BNS, but would require $7200 USD to pay extra incurred legal and currency fees. I was livid and refused any more money, but the Mexican law firm representing me said they have already paid $5000 of it so I only had to pay the remaining $2200 ..... on and on. They had me hooked for over $6000 already until I finally told them to GGF! It was a very convincing scam! They sent me all money transfer documents and copies of approved and cleared wire transactions from the BNS ( Bank of Nova Scotia) which is one of the top big 5 Canadian owned banking companies that has international branches in many Latin Central American Countries. There website looked legit, and the Bank Drafts were extremely convincing. I even brought the copy of the Bank of Nova Scotia wire transfer draft to our local BNS in my home town to confirm, and they said it looks legit to them, but at it was from a branch in Mexico they had no way of confirming it. I tried to contact the branch named on the wire transfer, but of course no one there spoke English, I I don't speak spanish....so that was helpful...

Now my question is, I emailed them asking to cancel my contract, stopped paying the El Cid maintenance fees by contacting Visa to stop payments and then cancelling that Visa card that the payments were being charged to back in October, just before they sent a bill for the new annual amount starting in October, and if course they keep emailing me looking for missed payments + interest. I am wondering as I am in Canada and it is a Mexican company if I should just ignore them and see if they send it to collections, or I was wondering if taking a chance using a law firm called MEXLAW, which is a Mexican firm out of Playa Del Carmen, and supposedly a branch in Montreal QE Canada, but they say their fee is $500 USD up front and the remaining $500 USD once contract is confirmed cancelled and documented that I am off the hook for any further obligations for the TS. But I am worried it is just another of the hundreds of Time Share scams and I would just be throwing away even more money.

Does anyone with experience with this have any useful advise?

( I would love to just walk away and be done with it! ( We just closed on our new mortgage and never buying a new vehicle ever again so our credit wouldn't be an issue anytime soon.)

Darcy

Last edited by darcyd29 on Dec 30, 2020 07:22 AM

Dec 30, 2020

Did you ever get a confirmation to this posted question?

"So you are saying that they can't put the unpaid maintenance fees to a collection agency that will put it on your credit?"

I am curious as I also have a similar Mexican El Cid RTU contract that is paid for and never gets used and I want out of the $1500 USD (and climbing) annual maintenance fees for the next 13 years.

Darcy
Dec 30, 2020

My experience with the timeshare membership I had in Cancun, Mexico was that I was able to simply cancel it. I asked if I could surrender my membership. It was paid in full. They agreed and sent me a simple letter to sign (notarized) and return it. I did that and they then indicated in my account that my membership was canceled. Possibly you could contact your organization and ask if you could do this. Since I had already paid my maintenance fees for that year, I first deposited my week with Interval International so that I would not lose it. They required that the contact to be paid in full, and if any maintenance fees were due, they had to be paid. Guess it's worth a shot! Peggy

Margaret K.
Dec 30, 2020

What resort was this with Peggy? I have asked El Cid to cancel and they basically said I was contracted to continue maintenance payments for duration of 20 year contract.

Darcy
Dec 30, 2020

It was (at the time...they were bought out) the Avalon in Cancun. We had a 30 year contract. We did use our timeshare up until my spouse’s disability. It was going to be way too difficult for him, so we requested the surrender. This was back in 2019 when things were not as bad as they are now. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Marge S.
Dec 31, 2020

There is rarely a single, correct "one size fits all" answer to any timeshare question, since there are so many different companies, based in different countries and often having very different policies and practices, particularly in regard to so-called "deebacks". Policies also can (and do) change over time within any given company.

That said, there are El Cid RTU contracts (20 years) that are affiliated with Wyndham (I know --- it sounds strange to mention Wyndham and Mexican RTU contracts in the same sentence, but it's true). *IF* your particular "product" is one of those Wyndham-affiliated contracts (and I obviously have no idea if that is your case), it might be worthwhile for you to contact Wyndham here in the U.S. to inquire whether you might have an "out" available to you through their "Ovations" (exit) program. Maybe not, but it would only take 30 seconds of your time in a free phone call to find out with certainty.

Mexican RTU contracts are essentially worthless in the resale market, so it's definitely worth inquiring into any possible clean "departure" avenue potentially available to you before just walking away (...a choice which is always an option if / when all else fails). Good luck.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jan 02, 2021 03:44 PM

May 06, 2021

I own 2 Cabo Villas timeshares, one contract, with 17 years left on my contract. It is paid in full, I’ve paid the maintenance fee on time every year, as well as any assessments. I wish to cancel my contract and would like to know how to end my contract, free and clear. This resort is no longer recognizable with all the changes in their program and what they offer members. They are now called Cachet Beach Hotel, but it’s all very confusing what guests are entitled to in regards to beach chairs, beach access, which pool is allowed, what color towels you get, or even who is running this place. They have “evolved to meet the current times”, which means they are now a vacation membership club. If you don’t upgrade to their new program, which is a ‘pay as you go’ concept, and no more maintenance fees, then you’re a second class guest. It seems like they are in breach of contract, but I don’t know the legalities of contract wording and need help. What do you advise?

Brazzie M.
May 07, 2021

brazziem wrote:
I own 2 Cabo Villas timeshares, one contract...What do you advise?

In Mexico, you usually do not "own" anything except a contract. The easiest way out of a Mexican Right-to-Use contract is usually to just stop paying maintenance fees and let the contract terminate. The down side is that you will probably face a lot of collection calls and letters and a possible (but not likely) hit on your credit score or rating.

Just do not use any of these companies with appealing words in their names such as "cancel", "exit", or "relief", etc.

Lance C.
Jun 16, 2021

brazziem wrote:
<snip> I don’t know the legalities of contract wording and need help. What do you advise?

Whatever lame version of "contract law" exists in Mexico is surely not worth the frustration or expense of fighting; you will never win any such battle. You would just be unnecessarily (and futilely) pumping more dollars into Mexico.

Pay them not another nickel and just walk away and don't look back if you do not intend to use your Mexican RTU "membership" in the future under the existing terms.

KC

Last edited by ken1193 on Jun 16, 2021 05:14 AM

Aug 03, 2022

I too am a former timeshare salesperson who worked in Mexico. Everything she says is true.

The first timeshare that I worked at (Angel Fire Resort, Angel Fire, NM) fired me because I asked why they were lying to people.

I always sold with integrity while the other salespeople were lying and this was encouraged by management.

I worked in Mexico for many years in Cancun, Mazatlán, and Cabo San Lucas.

Here is what they are doing and why they cannot stop anyone from cancelling:

(1) The Mexico timeshare sell the papers to a U.S. company (i.e. GBS International) for a profit (2) The U.S. company wants to make a profit and reports any debt to the U.S. collection agency who work on commission. This is illegal on so many parts. (3) If the debt is unpaid, the U.S. collections company reports it to the credit reporting agencies only if they have the social security number. If they do, they are committing "debt parking" which is fraud and a federal crime.

W. R.

Last edited by phyl21 on Aug 03, 2022 10:03 PM

Jun 27, 2023

Hi. We’ve been contacted by a company wanting to buy our timeshare in Mexico but are charging us $5,300 because of taxes and transferring title. Is this legit?

Gabriela N.
Jun 27, 2023

I've been more interested in resale Mexican ts because of not having the lifetime commitment, and when we looked about 6 years ago, older ones had cheaper mf. I'm surprised they don't sell if priced low enough to just cover closing costs.

Terri S.

Last edited by caribbound on Jun 27, 2023 04:06 PM

Jun 27, 2023

gabrielan11 wrote:
We’ve been contacted by a company wanting to buy our timeshare in Mexico but are charging us $5,300 because of taxes and transferring title. Is this legit?

No, it's not legit. It's a total scam!

Lance C.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.