Buying, Renting, and Selling Timeshares

From Owner: How do you handle the damage cost if the renter did it to your unit?

Aug 29, 2009

I am a timeshare owner. For the first time, I want to see whether I can rent my week thru Redweek. Since I have never rented my week before, I want to know how safe for owner to rent the week? How do you handle the damage cost, if there is any happened during the week by the renter? Your past experience will be greatly appreciated.

Shirley Z.
Aug 29, 2009

shirleyz6 wrote:
I am a timeshare owner. For the first time, I want to see whether I can rent my week thru Redweek. Since I have never rented my week before, I want to know how safe for owner to rent the week? How do you handle the damage cost, if there is any happened during the week by the renter? Your past experience will be greatly appreciated.

It very seldom happens and I've been reading timeshare forums for almost 10 years ... even though the resort gets a credit card imprint from the renter, if the renter does damage and they refuse to have their credit card charged or they successfully dispute the charge with the credit card company then the ultimate responsibility for the damage is the owner.

R P.
Aug 31, 2009

jayjay wrote:
It very seldom happens and I've been reading timeshare forums for almost 10 years ... even though the resort gets a credit card imprint from the renter, if the renter does damage and they refuse to have their credit card charged or they successfully dispute the charge with the credit card company then the ultimate responsibility for the damage is the owner.
Unfortunately what jayjay says is true, the owner is ultimately responsible for the unit. You can ask for a security deposit, I'm guessing many renters will balk and go somewhere else, especially since the deposit would have to be several hundred dollars to cover any potential damage.

Make sure your contract with the renter indicates that he/she is responsible for any damage. While this doesn't solve the problem, it would be an asset if there is any major issue that results in a civil action.

Mike N.
Aug 31, 2009

Thanks, Jayjay and Mike. This makes me nervous to rent out. If anybody has any tip/experience on preventing or limiting this happen, please share.

Shirley Z.
Aug 31, 2009

shirleyz6 wrote:
Thanks, Jayjay and Mike. This makes me nervous to rent out. If anybody has any tip/experience on preventing or limiting this happen, please share.
I try to communicate via phone with potential renters. You can get a feel as to what type of people they are. After all they are also trusting you that you will not scam them by taking their money and not "delivering the goods". I've rented my units four or five times. I've never had a problem (knock on wood). I guess you have to put your faith in mankind.

Mike N.

Last edited by mike1536 on Aug 31, 2009 08:40 AM

Sep 02, 2009

We have, upon the advice of Marriott agent, made it very clear on the phone and in our rental contract, that any charges incurred as a result of their stay, whether it be charges to the room, or any damage charges charged by Marriott, was the sole responsibility of the renter and the renter would need to deal directly with Marriott if there were any disputes with these charges. There was no problem with our renter and they did not question this part of the contract and signed it willingly. Good luck.

Frank S.
Oct 31, 2022

franks161 wrote:
We have, upon the advice of Marriott agent, made it very clear on the phone and in our rental contract, that any charges incurred as a result of their stay, whether it be charges to the room, or any damage charges charged by Marriott, was the sole responsibility of the renter and the renter would need to deal directly with Marriott if there were any disputes with these charges. There was no problem with our renter and they did not question this part of the contract and signed it willingly. Good luck.

Would you mind sharing that part of your rental contract?

Susan L.

Note: Please do not post ads in the timeshare forums. If you want to add a timeshare posting, go here.